What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pinguicula suggestions please!

so im thinking of getting into pings. but i want something that looks cool, not just big stupid floppy looking leaves. :lac: maybe something that looks good in large clumps with some nice color. and/or maybe one that can withstand a good freeze now and then i dont know. any suggestions?

withstand a good freeze?...

you really uhh... narrowed your potential results with that one :)

There are plenty of great pings with neat coloration and leaf formations, before you start on anything particularly 'exotic' as far as pings go I'd recommend just attempting to maintain some basic ones first.

sethos and elhersai (sp) are 2 ones that I own that are particularly easy and show great coloration traits.

p.s. you probably hurt some pings feelings with your "big stupid floppy leaves" comment. I'm just saying.. :(

Like Chris stated, withstanding a freeze narrows down your choices quite a bit. As far as I know, none can withstand freezing; that includes Mexican Pinguicula (the types I believe you are wanting to try) nor temperate Pinguicula. Leaf coloration and formation have a lot to do with lighting. Generally greenhouse grown plants have little color; most coloration comes from artificial lighting from what I have seen and experienced with Mexican Pinguicula. Floppy leaves tend to come from insignificant lighting. All Pings can be grown in groups, but don't really 'clump' like you are meaning. You can take leaf pullings to multiply the plants, and on occason they will reproduce on their own. I really wouldn't call it clumping though unless the plant is a few years old or more (again from my experiences).

Crystal

Don't get them if you expect a freeze. Take a look at my grow list link, which gives you my photobucket link, for ping pictures.

My personal favorite is Pinguicula x-Pirouette

PPirouette.jpg

nice coloration and cold tolerant dont go together in Pings. there are many pings that can withstand the cold such as P. macroceras, vulgaris, vallisnerifolia(sp?) and a few others. but the only color you get from these pings is their largish beautiful flowers! and they make gemmae like pygmy sundews. provided you get placement right you can get nice clumps of these things =]

Alex

OMG pinguicula esseriana look perfect! thanks jimscott and everyone else for the input :-D

p.s. i retract my 'big stupid floppy leaves' comment :-))

Don't get them if you expect a freeze. Take a look at my grow list link, which gives you my photobucket link, for ping pictures.

WOW Jim, TONS of GREAT photos!

Thanks! Between my sister in law buying me a camera for Christmas and my wife buying a grow rack with lights for every tier, the plants have done well in response - especially the butterworts.

Back