What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So here's my P. moranensis. I repotted it in 100% pure perlite (no vermaculite or APS locally), but I'm hesistant. I'm thinking of lowering the soil level a bit, I'm not sure how much capillary action the perlite has. (I.e., will an inch of water under the perlite get the moranensis's roots wet?)

p.moranensis.jpg

I repotted my "titan" with a bit more Perlite in the mix. It was almost all peat moss before. Now it's got a good chunk of perlite in with it:

p.titan.jpg

While I was doing so, I took 2 pullings of the titan (and a handful of moranensis pulls, which you can see in there). Here's my prop pot in general. You can see some of the mora pulls in there:

prop.pot.jpg

BTW, The Sarr is a mystery plant, the red VFT is "Gold Strike", and the baby VFTs are B52s. The Droseras are all Filiformis "Florida All Red". :)

And here's the two Titan pulls close up. I'm not sure I have them positioned good enough:

p.titan.pull1.jpg

p.titan.pull2.jpg

The moranensis pulls are probably not going to do much. I mostly did them to get the dead material out from under the moranensis, which was pushing it up and crushed together. By doing so, it doubled in size.

So, questions:

P. Moranensis. Drop the soil level? Mix in some peat moss?

P. Titan: How's it look? It hasn't grown at all since I got it, but it has a good set of roots, so... How are the pullings looking? Should I just place them in with the P. Moranensis? Or set up a pure perlite prop chamber? I have a domed pot from Dunecraft that I could fill with... anything, really.

To answer one of your questions, I did an experiment and found that pings grown in media that has peat in it grow significantly better than those that don't. Others have come to the same conclusion. My mix of choice is actually, 25/25/25/25 peat/APS/sand/vermiculite. Idaho being the agricultural state that it is, I'd think you should be able to find vermiculite locally, and APS could be found at any store that sells pond equipment. Silica sand was found at Home Depot or Lowes quite easily and cheap. But yes, put some peat in the mix and your pings will be happier.

100% APS has done wonders for me, i havnt had a single ping hiccup since i've moved to the APS. it was a REALLY cheap media for me as well, this pond plant store gave me 20 lbs for 7 bucks. i've got ping media for life i feel like...

its almost impossible to lose any pings due to rot this way...

Good luck !

What about those strikes? Do they look like they're positioned correctly?

I'm watching this thread for replies!

What about those strikes? Do they look like they're positioned correctly?

The leaf pullings? As long as the ends where you pulled them off of the plants are covered a little, they should be fine.

The leaf pullings? As long as the ends where you pulled them off of the plant is covered a little, they should be fine.

Er, yeah, that's what I meant. Hope they do good, it was hard to find a P. "Titan". They're in a humidity dome, so.. Hopefully. How long should it take to see any growth?

Er, yeah, that's what I meant. Hope they do good, it was hard to find a P. "Titan". They're in a humidity dome, so.. Hopefully. How long should it take to see any growth?

I haven't done Ping leaf pulls in a long time, but I think it's safe to say about a month.

And don't worry if you lose a few of them, you should probably expect it... I've never had 100% success.

Only did 2 of the Titan pings, since the titan only had 5 leaves total. We'll see. :)

The trouble with perlite is that it will turn green very shortly. That and it rises / floats and is kind of messy. I've tried a variety of mixes. One I like is a mix of perlite, egg shells, sand, and crushed coral. Here's one of sand overlaying egg shells:

Picture018-4.jpg

This is mostly perlite overlaying LFS:

Picture001-7.jpg

Forgot to take a picture of this one (P. "Yucca Do 1713"), so I went in to do so just now, and noticed...

p.yucca.do.1713.jpg

3 babies! Not sure if they're gemmae, or if they're strikes from the leaves touching the soil, or if they're stolons, or what. I'm not sure what 1713 (esseriana?) does as far as selfing goes.

Media is, I believe, peat/perlite, with an emphasis on peat. Not sure if I borrowed the media from the Flytrap Andy sent me or if it's just random "generic CP mix" from my CP media box.

They're not gemmae, but plantlets. You can take leaf pullings of them and expand.

They're not gemmae, but plantlets. You can take leaf pullings of them and expand.

Hm. What happens if I just let them be? Will they eventually get big enough to just take the entire plantlet away and repot?

They'll separate on their won, eventually, but they will be abutted against one another.

that should be ok, once they get big enough I'll seperate them then :) They're not bothering the main plant yet. :D

I disagree with the comment that leaf pullings to best with their ends covered. I find that they need light and are best simply placed on the surface uncovered. I would uncover the ends (growth more commonly sprouts from the end that was attached).

A bit of humidity helps at this stage but that depends on your ambient humidity level. However, I would say that the media you have put the pullings in is so wet that it may promote rot.

Good luck!

I'll try a few different ways. I am worried about the Titan parent plant, it has sent out 2 new leaves but the 3 leaves it had are turning yellow. I may have taken too much from the parent plant.

I discovered a few more plantlets UNDER the 1713, so I dug him up, moved the plantlets to prop chambers and a few inches to the left of the mother plant, and repotted her. The plantlets appear to be quite happy.

The P. moranensis started getting bite marks in it, again, similar to what happened in March:
Ping.jpg

So I spritzed it with a bit of Pyrethrin pesticide. The little bugs in the prop chamber (which I also spritzed) seemed to have vanished due to the spritz, and I haven't noticed any fresh bite marks on the moranensis -- however, one of the new leaves is kinda shriveling up a bit.

We'll see. I hope I didn't poison it -- none of the other leaves are unhappy.

Back