What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Living Up To It's Name / Hey, McCantrell...

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Picture-7.jpg
P. gigantea x moctezumae

o_O; No Mc! Just M. :D

Very nice. I wanna try Gigantea x Yucca Do 1713, see if I can get something that's basically a giant 1713. That'd be neat. :)

I knew you were looking for P. gigantea, but this is a hybrid. It seems to have taken the gigantea traits rather nicely. It is the biggest ping I have. I think the cross with 1713 will be interesting because the 1713 is so small.

Oh, I got a Gigantea from a guy on GW. It seems to be doing ok in 1:2 Peat/Perlite, for now anyway.

At least I hope it is. Typically my Pings that don't make it just grow smaller, and smaller, and smaller until there's nothing left.

Somehow I need to get both of them to flower which so far has been... difficult.

They should have just a little more of growth season left, before going succulent. In the spring they should / might flower.

nice, i have a gigantea that keeps getting bigger and bigger.....dont have this hybrid though.....looks like a good one....

They should have just a little more of growth season left, before going succulent. In the spring they should / might flower.

Oddly enough, my moranensis just came OUT of succulent. After it hadn't done anything for a few months I repotted it, discovering quite a large wad of near-fossilized dead mass under the succulent leaves. Peeled that stuff off leaving only green stuff and roots (a second batch of roots was trying to grow around the dead mass) and it woke back up.

Poor thing's confused, lol.

LOL! Yeah it is! One other thing... when you see new growth, you know the plant is reasonably acclimated. Then take a few leaf cuttings and keep them going. Nothing fancy... just place the leaves on top of the media, as is, and in about 3 weeks, you can see a new plant forming at the base.

Jim, I have the same hybrid and mine aren't doing as well. The tips of the leaves just turn brown for what seems like no reason. Any plant that has gigantea in it has never done well for me.

Really nice plants.

Phil,

I do believe I have some young leaf cutting plants....

I haven't had any luck with ping pulls. My 1713 made some baby plants from what I assume was roots breaking off under it. All the pulls I've tried have failed in some way or another.

For ping pullings, do you put them in a humidity chamber? Or just place them on the same media as the parent plant?

I've taken pullings of my P. x'Sethos', P. moranensis x gypsicola and P. weser...and they all struck. I kept them in over 95% humidity and planted on 50/50 peat/perlite...

I used to put them in baggies. As per Capslock, I now place them directly on the soil surface, uncovered. And in ~3 weeks I can see new plants emerging from the base.

Weird, mine almost, as a rule, do the same thing -- they turn brown then shrivel up to nothingness. I wonder if I need to wait for succulent leaves?

Back