What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So How Hard is it tp Pollenate a Ping?

CN

BANNED
So How Hard is it tp Pollenate a Ping?
I have two that are flowering At the same time an was thinking about Crossing them .
an Just wanted to Know how hard it's going to be . Or should I just go Buy some Fruit Flys or catch some Gnats an let them do the work for me ?
Any help is Helpful Thanks

Daren

P. Titan
2009_11020007.jpg

P. Sethos
2009_11020006.jpg

I have no idea would like to learn too!MIne flowered thrice but I always killed the delicate flower

I butchered the flower petals and tried hand-pollinating. That failed miserably. I guess I don't know what I am doing!

I have tried with about 30 flowers and none took. I don't understand how it's done.
I used a toothpick that was colored black so I could see the pollen and tried random crosses of all the pings in flower at the time. I'm hopeing someone will make a video or good pictorial of how it's done.

like zero, ive tried it many times. no success. its pretty straight forward though. pollen is easily accessible and the stigma is right there. maybe some crosses and clones are sterile? ive tried hybrids with gypsicola, moranensis, Yucca Do 1713 and 'Titan'. mixed all of the pollen up and pollinated each one.

Alex

You need genetically different plants to get viable seed from the Mexican Pinguicula in cultivation. There is very little genetic variation among the plants in cultivation as they propagate so readily from pullings.

So unless you have plants with location data you are better off pollinating between species.

And leaf pullings work just fine!

Pollinating Pinguicula flowers; once you figure out where the stamen are hiding and which surface is the stigma, the act of pollination is straightforward and simple. However, accomplishing pollination does not always result in fertilization, and sometimes even what may appear to be ripe and fertile seed may defy all attempts at germination - such seed may even appear normal but have no viable embryo.

Once I developed a population of about forty Pinguicula 'Sethos' plants in order to have many flowers of the same clone which I could then use to attempt seed production by self-fertilization in attempts to create a population of F2 generation plants. For most of the year there were many flowers being produced during my efforts at this. During a period of several years I 'pollinated' several hundred flowers, some produced seed pods, some seed pods contained no seed, some contained seed that looked normal but were empty inside, some produced seed that appeared normal in every way, but that simply wouldn't germinate, then finally one seed pod produced seed which all germinated quickly and grew with great vigor. I grew about forty of these to maturity and selected one that produced green leaves that stayed green no matter the growing conditions, it's flower was also a very bright shade of red that appears irridescent. So, for me, the wait and the effort were worth it.

Last edited:
I find a very fine, pointed, moistened paintbrush works very well. I think the toothpick option is more likely to lead to flower damage.

Just crossed P. macrophylla with two different P. laueana clones and got good germination. Hope they do well.

I have also observed much of what Joseph has noted.

Back