What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi All

I have been growing Pinguicula for a couple of years now. I currently have around 20/25 species and hybrids and have been relatively happy with the results I have obtained. I recently had to change my grow area and so the plants are experiencing their first summer in their new grow area.

I have observed several pots of plants are displaying early browning of their summer leaves (largely P. agnata and P. moranensis forms). The leaves appear to brown and die, beginning where the leaves touch the media. It is certainly not regular plant growth, as last years winter leaves are still present on some plants and are in good condition. No pests are visible and so I consider the problem as a result of their new growing conditions.

The growing conditions are as follows:

Media: Inorganic, roughly 1:1:1Pumice, sand and vermiculite (all washed prior to use)
Watering: Tray watering, top of media dries between watering (tap water, but very low dissolved salt content)
Light: Artificial, they get heaps, so no worries here
Temps: Currently 20 to 35 degrees day and 10 to 20 degrees at night
Humidity: Typically 20 to 40%, but a little higher depending on atmospheric humidity
Feeding: Dried, crushed insects when I can be bothered (every couple of weeks or so)

Here is an example of the problem (P. agnata 'Romol'):

Ping001.jpg

I certainly keep my plants on the dry side and the humidity is on the low side. Could the leaves be drying, starting where they touch the dry media? At first, as the problem begins where the leaves touch the media, I thought that may be the problem. But it is not happening in all my pots and only certain species and hybrids seem to show the problem.

Any ideas as to the cause would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Matt.

Maybe you want to repot with fresh media for those pots that are exhibiting this, as well as removing the infected leaves? I don't know the cause, though.

Jim

Yeah, I have re-potted the plants and tried to remove the browning leaves. I only really see that as treating the symptons however. I would be highly surprsied if it is the media.

One of the main reasons I use an inorganic media is to reduce the risk of pest/disease. I have had no problem over the last couple of years with the same media. Which is why I think it is more likely a problem with their new growing conditions.

I will try increasing the humidity and watering, but will be a couple of weeks until I will see if it makes any difference.

Thanks for your comments.

Matt.

Have you tried taking leaf cuttings in fresh pots? I've never used vermicuite. My plants are in a combination of crushed coral, perlite, egg shells and sand on top. I have them on a grow rack, under Grolites. For the most part, mine are not experiencing this phenomenon, but the dynamics between us are too different for me to pinpoint.

Picture002-10.jpg

Mobile

Thanks for the resources. I have re-potted the plants in to fresh media. I do consider the plants affected were largely growing in my oldest media. I will let you know if this makes a difference

Jim

Yes, I have heaps of leap pullings of most of the plants. So I am not too stressed at the moment. There are a couple of plants though that I only have a couple of, so wouldnt want to loose those.

I have thrown a few more words on the thread at CPUK, sorry for the duplicate.

Thanks Matt.

LOL! As you can see, I'm a big proponent of having backups:

Picture004-7.jpg

I hope the fresh media solves the problem for you.

Back