What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moctezumae's Revenge!

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Here are some crosses and straight up P. moctezumae:

Picture021-2.jpg

Picture001-24.jpg

Picture010-2.jpg

Picture007-4.jpg

Picture008-1.jpg

Picture001-9.jpg

Picture001-36.jpg

Picture005-1.jpg

Picture014-3.jpg

Nice pics Jim.

Out of curiosity are your straight ups growing in sphagnum?

Finally someone replied! Yup, they're in LFS. They're different than the Mexican ones that want the alkaline soil. I didn't realize it but I was killing a perfectly good plant when I was treating it like the others.

So ya finally got them moctezumaes to grow, Jim!.

I kept mine too hot + too humid and they rotted out. :-( I'm thinking of trying it again, however.

By the way, did you have a lot of success with moctezumae pullings? What was your procedure?

Ah ha! So that is why mine expired with such eagerness! I'll have to give them another shot, this time with LFS.

I haven't tried moctezumae (straight up) pullings but the cross with gigantea worked even with the long summer leaves hanging out of the pot, flopping over. You can see them in this picture:

Picture004-7.jpg

P. moctezumae is so much different in cultivating than any of the crosses I've had.

I have a question about Pinguicula Moctezumae. How exactly does it go "dormant"? Does it form a succulent stage like P. Moranensis, or does it form an under-ground bulb like P. Medusina? Or does it keep carnivorous leaves all year?

Just like P. emarginata, P. moctezumae does not go dormant at all. That's one of the reasons its unique.

Oddly enough, moctezumae seems to like lfs or peat in culture, but in the wild, it grows on limestone rock.

Just like P. emarginata, P. moctezumae does not go dormant at all. That's one of the reasons its unique.

Oddly enough, moctezumae seems to like lfs or peat in culture, but in the wild, it grows on limestone rock.

So, it stays carnivorous all year?

I'm actually thinking about getting one now.

Very nice pinguicula Jim!
If I may add my experience here, the fact is that P. moctezumae does go dormant when growing in the wild. It creates thicker and shorter spear-like small leaves which are carnivorous. In the culture it is very rare to get dormancy, but my specimen goes dormant each winter. Here is a pic of what it look like now, entering dormancy. I grow mine in sandy mix of peat and dolomite powder.
DSCF0001-18.jpg

Klasac: Do you grow your exclusively inside? Do you cut back on the photoperiod, only, or do you somehow get a lower temperature?

Jim, I grow her inside but close to window where she gets decent temp drop at night. So for winter she gets colder environment and also the photoperiod is cut to 10hrs. This is not neccessary but she is placed next to tuberous sundews terrarium getting diffused light from there. BTW the reason why the old leaves are missing is that I used them as explants for TC. Good luck growing your wonderful plants! :)

Very nice plants and setup, Jim!

That's pretty much what my plants get. - near a window, reduced photoperiod.

Back