What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone tried growing Pings this way?

On damp mossy wood or piece of bark, kind of like some orchids/epiphytes? success? thanks

I know a few people in the BACPS have done this. I believe they tend to fill little pockets in the wood/rock with soil for the Ping to grow in. Typically the plant will grow larger then the pocket so it looks like it's growing right on the wood/rock. Check the Ping table at the next BACPS show in Oakland and you should see one or two. It's visually very pretty!

Thanks G. I'm trying it just that way as kind of an experiment in a terrarium setting. If it works it's going to be really beautiful. & I'm fairly confident it will work. Pings will grow just about anywhere & I've had really good luck with them. You may see it at the BACPS show in June ;-) cheers

Thanks G. I'm trying it just that way as kind of an experiment in a terrarium setting. If it works it's going to be really beautiful. & I'm fairly confident it will work. Pings will grow just about anywhere & I've had really good luck with them. You may see it at the BACPS show in June ;-) cheers

Great to hear! Can't wait to see it in June!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinguicula_moranensis

scroll down, there's a great pic of p. moranensis growing on tree trunks...

That is a cool picture! But again I believe the moss is acting as a media there too. In the wid they do tend to grow with very little media.

P. hemiepipythica is in the habit of growing on mossy tree bark (of living trees!). I guess I would have to qualify my answer with "depends on the species".

P_hemiepiphytica%20an%20Baum%20in%20Bl%FCte2.jpg

That's a great picture!

You ate a bug for fun?

WOW! Awesome pics & links you guys!! thanks.
... nope. never ate a bug for fun. a few times by accident.... ;-)

Brokken: that pick is sweet! I wounder how far up the tree they are. It looks to be quite high.

I vividly remember accidently drinking a fly that had landed in my soda on my 8th birthday! In a lot of countries eating bugs is an everyday thing. The are very high in protien.

Frills: I can't take credit for the picture. I did a search on pinguicula hemiepipythica and voila!

I've eaten a roach and threw up subsequently after.... but did eat some termites for fun. :)

So it has a hemi? Sorry for the bad pun... not really.

Peter D'Amato shows a picture of them growing in ceramic thingys. They really do grow anywhere and the plants have no sense of aesthetics.

LOL! The termites didn't gross you out but the roach did?

I grew some of my P.grandiflora on a big chunk of lava rock and plan on doing it with P.gypsicolas this year.The grandiflora did great and I hope they make it thru the winter in my new greenhouse.
Mark W.

all if not most of the cuban species are epiphytic. growing just like bromeliads.

Alex

Back