What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. Primulifola

• Thread starter back2eight
  • Start date
primulifolaflower.jpg

I saw a bloom today and had to snap a pic

nice little field you've got going there..

Nice. My collection of Primuifloras is on the verge of extinction. The glue catastrophe and the freak cold weather killed almost all of mine. I just have one little plantlet that's alive in a Nepenthes pot on my windowsill.

I can't grow these for some reason. I've killed 4 so far. I do fine with Moranensis though. I think my Agnata died too, it disappeared.

Wolfn, maybe not all is lost. They are temperate and can go dormant with the cold. Don't throw anything away yet! Another thing about them is that they are very short lived, but they produce tons of babies. So your adult one will die but if you don't seperate the babies out or give them away, you should always be able to keep some going. These grow naturally along creekbanks around here, so I know that they are not tropical. I don't let mine go dormant though, it isn't necesary for them like it is for a sar or VFT, so I keep them warm.

Wow.. you've got more primulifloras than Lowes!

What media are you growing those in? I'm repotting my primuliflora today and am not sure what to put it in.

Plain peat moss. It's all I use for any of my CPs. I know that is not the preferred method of most people, but it works great when growing them in those tiny plug trays like these are in. Plug trays are hard to keep watered; they dry out so easily, so having a media that holds in the water is a big help.

Plain peat moss. It's all I use for any of my CPs. I know that is not the preferred method of most people, but it works great when growing them in those tiny plug trays like these are in. Plug trays are hard to keep watered; they dry out so easily, so having a media that holds in the water is a big help.

I repotted 9 plants today, four of them from pure peat (I potted them in pure peat last), and wanted to make the switch to 50/50 peat/perlite. I think I had success with pure peat, even though parts of a rhizome or two were mushy brown. I almost killed my primuliflora last year with orthenex, so I hurriedly repotted it in pure peat, and it's been doing great ever since. Maybe I'll just repot it in pure peat (it needs a bigger pot than the one it's in, or I'd just leave it alone).

Thanks

I have one that popped up out of nowhere in a pot of pure LFSM. How That one got there, I have no idea. My only other primuliflora is outside.

WOW! How do you keep em so happy?

I don't know, lucky I guess. Some of my other pings are suffering a little because I haven't been able to keep them warm enough, but primulifolia is a temperate ping anyway, so I think it is liking this cool weather. we finally are past are deep winter freak weather we have had, and now it is like a typical Mississippi winter. It's in the 40s at night, 70s during the day.

I can't keep these alive for nothing. I can barely even get them to make leaf buds. (Maybe they don't like the combination of cold and wet up here?)
Hats off to you!
~Joe

For some reason, P. primuliflora & D. adelae are enigmatic and thrive for some folks, while driving others nuts.

Back