What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which Mexican Pinguicula remain carnivorous year-round?

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
To my understanding, there are a few Mexican Pinguicula that grow year round. For example, Pinguicula Agnata doesn't produce dry succulent leaves and will remain carnivorous year round. Same with Moctezumae and Emarginata.

Are there any other Mexican Pinguicula that remain carnivorous year round?

There is P. gigantea too. I have grown P. "sethos" year around too.

........My P.agnata went dormant and creates dry leaves. :scratch:

........My P.agnata went dormant and creates dry leaves. :scratch:

Yes, P. agnata produces non-carnivorous leaves in Winter, given 'normal' conditions.

P. 'Sethos' will produce succulent leaves. I have seen this myself.

Actually, I have had my P agnata for 3 years now and it has never formed succulent leaves. I think it depends on the variety you are talking about.

I had Pinguicula 'Aphodite' for 3 years and never needs dormancy. Plus others that have been mentioned.

Actually, I have had my P agnata for 3 years now and it has never formed succulent leaves. I think it depends on the variety you are talking about.

How about Agnata "El Lobo"?

How about 'True Blue'?

Picture003-7.jpg

Mine is basically a true blue. Just solid green, strap shapped leaves. Never gone into succulent growth.

There is P. gigantea too. I have grown P. "sethos" year around too.

As Jim said, I acquired my 'sethos' wrapped in a dry paper towel. It was very dormant.

Variety and species differ but for the same clone, what causes different behaviour is conditions.

You keep a plant warm and wet with lots of light and it is less likely to form Winter growth than a plant that has shortened daylight period, cool and dry.

There is a link further up for a definitive list of heterophyllous and homophyllous plants. My understanding is that the homophyllous plants only have one growth type but, given appropriate conditions, the heterophyllous types will develop Winter or Summer growth, depending on conditions.

Of the homophyllous species listed I only grow P. emarginata. I pretty much thought I had observed different Winter and Summer growth with this type but maybe the difference is not significant enough.

Back