What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. lauenea Media

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I've had this species once before and it died within weeks. What do you use?

I'm not growing this species but:

http://pinguicula.org/pages/plantes/pinguicula_laueana.htm

Media : I use a 100 % mineral media : 2 perlite, 2 vermiculite, 1 small sand (for aquarium), 1 fine white sand, 1 pouzzolane (volcanic lava), 1 aqualit (expansed ceramic for aquarium). The aqualit can be replaced by 1 of pouzzolane. Plants in this media grow slower but have a stronger root system.

Pot : plastic, colour terracotta, diameter 20cm, height 12cm for forming a colony.

Cultivation : I think that a slightly airy situation inside the greenhouse is important to avoid air stagnation. For this reason, I use a fan 24h/24h all the year round.

Watering is very important : from May to September (summer). I let the media drying slightly between two watering. I use rain water poured on the top of the pot taking care not to wet the rosette. From October to April, It is important to let the media drying completely (no watering) but with an atmospheric humidity of about 80%.

The mentioned months are indicative and can change according to your own growing conditions. In fact, when this Pinguicula begins to produce its non-carnivorous leaves, you have to stop watering and let the pot drying out completely. Inversely, when the plant begins to produce in early spring its carnivorous leaves, you have to progressively start watering again the pot.

Temperatures : during growth period, day temperatures are about 25°C but may reach 35°C when the sun is shining on the greenhouse in spite of the use of shading covers. Night temperatures are around 20°C. During resting period : day/night over freezing point. Lower temperature observed : - 4°C. I use an electronic petroleum heater to provide heat.

1:1:1 peat/perlite/vermiculite does well for me. The plant is flowering like crazy

Warren: Looks like it's nothing different than 90% of the Mexican pings that I already have. Thanks.

Hal: *makes mental note*

FWIW:

100% APS, moist all year with a seasonal photoperiod. Also growing well in 100% LFS, same moisture and lighting conditions.

Are any of you propagating this? I am having a really tough time doing so! ???

It's pretty easy for me with standard succulent leaf pullings. I do tend to get more strikes when the tray of leaves is placed in a dark corner of the GH and kept just barely moist on a layer of peat/sand/vermiculite in equal proportions, uncovered and with good air circulation. Thats my media of choice for all my Mexi pings and all the P. laueana are currently in bloom.

Phil

Here's how the new arrival looks, sitting on top of LFS. I also took leaf cuttings and have that in a mix of crushed coral, perlite, sand, egg shells:

Picture007-4.jpg

In my collection, these guys seem to enjoy bright light and even moisture throughout the year. Varying your day lengths will entice the plants to bloom in the spring. Haven't tried many leaf pulls yet...

Most of my P. laueana show awesome leaf venation, and the flowers are such a bright red!

I am awaiting the day of getting one of those red flowers! Fuschia ping flowers is great but I wanna see a bright red one!

Totally worth it! I've got 4 or 5 clones in flower right now and they stand out like whoa against the other pings! Great large flowers with square-ish petals on these guys, too. Love the color and form.

Back