What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula vulgaris - wanted!

Hey guys, I'm new here, but I've been growing some cp's for a little while now, after doing a lot of homework. I've been looking all over the net for P. vulgaris in the lower mainland, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Despite being called the common butterwort, it's not so common in nurseries here...what gives? Anyways, I unfortunately can't trade anything (i only have 4 plants right now), so I'd be willing to pay, or trade back in the future(spring/summer 2011). Right now I have:

VFT typical
VFT B52
D. rotundifolia
D intermedia

-->I might get a couple other plants this summer.

So these plants are all small, I have a few pullings from the intermedia, which are growing nicely already, and am planning on doing some pullings/cuttings from the rest of them come next spring once they've grown a bit. If no one can trade, any info on where I can get one would be just as awesome!
Thanks for your time guys!

This is a tough one to get a hold of here in North America. I've been looking for it for years, and had no luck. I guess it tends to rot over winter. Finally tried it from seed, only to have the little guys all up and die. The seed I tried this year doesn't appear to be viable, so I guess I'll have to try again next year. Got it from ebay, so not a big surprise. Anyway, unless you can import from Europe, or someone on the forum takes pity on you, seed may well be your only option. Good luck.

I also really like temperate pings.I had some luck with P.macroceras and tried some vulgaris seeds and they didn't do very well and died.
If you can find them try P.grandiflora.If you grow them in half shade/high sun and keep them out of the hot summer weather they do very well.At least here in Iowa.
Mark W.

Back