What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New way to grow pinguicula primuliflora!!

6months ago if there is anyone who could kill primuliflora it was me. Most of the time it was rot. Many people complained about not being able to cultivate this plant, so I decided to experiment. My new ping was dying anyway so I looked at the ping in its natural habitat, and saw it growing in full sun, albeit in water. After trial and no error (pun intended)
I found out.

It can stand 95+ degrees underwater or with the water level at the least 1 inch below in the soil.

The plants grew very well until I went for 3 weeks at summer camp.
My mom forgot to water and they died. I plan to get more. As audacious and wild as it seems to work. Just flood it. It can be submerged in 5+ inches of water. If you have had any experiences with pinguicula primulifora please answer!

Last edited by a moderator:
interesting...maybe that's why mine kept dying. because i didnt water them enough...

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. We're all under the impression that it needs little light.

You can grow it under low light. But higher light, hot temp, and lots of water makes it tougher. Then this tricky plant somehow becomes much easier. It will not rot and it will not fry, unless you let the water too low. If you raise the water level and let it live in cool darker conditions, it would rot. My rule of thumb is grow them liike sarracenias but more water. Not too sure about dormancy yet.

Maybe then they could even survive in planted tanks... :-))

But seriously, wouldn't that be cool? :D

No dormancy, but it's okay to expose them to small frosts. They are known to submerge part of their growing season in the wild. Thanks for sharing.

I can't grow them. I've killed 4 so far. I'll try again one of these days.....

Wasn't a similar growing technique for SE U.S. Pings presented in the ICPS newsletter a few issues back? As I recall, it works for P. planifolia, and the author said it would work for the other Pings from the general area too.

I've finally succeeded in growing (and propagating) it in dryer-than-usual conditions.

They've been flowering a lot for me too this summer. :)

They like a tad bit higher humidity than most of my other pings also.

Growers where I am keep P. primuliflora like a bog plant, like the VFT or D. intermedia. They thrive outdoors under full sun and produce lots of babies. :)

Back