What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pollinating P. Laueana

I have a question for those who know their pings.

Can P. laueana be self pollinated? I recently read a thread where someone produced viable laueana seeds by self pollinating it. Is this possible? Everything I've heard about laueana would lead me to believe otherwise, but if it's possible I really want to try next time I have a flower. If you have had any experiences with it, tried it, had success, etc, let me know, and I'll try to learn from you.

Thanks guys! :D

It may be possible but unlikely.
I have tried to cross a ton of pings and got nothing.
I would love to see a detailed write up on how to pollinate Mexi Pings.
I have tried the toothpick method, small paintbrush, and pulling apart flowers.

I think this is a SE North American ping.

Zero, unlikely in what sense? Like is it physically unlikely, genetically unlikely, etc. Just so I know

SDCP's do you mean like a south eastern NA ping? What implications does this have on it with regards to pollination?

And also, I've had some P. vulgaris seeds germinate today that were in the fridge/freezer for two weeks and then treated with GA3. Still waiting on the rest, as well as seeds of grandiflora, poldini, and alpina (which I hope are ok on an acidic base...any info would be great!). I'll post some pics soon, and thanks for the help so far!

Laueana is a mexican ping.
Some know how to get seed from them, but I have had no luck.

Last edited:
I have never bothered to try to self a laueana but think I have successfully crossed two laueana clones - will have to check my seedlings tonight.

I have tried to cross a ton of pings and got nothing.
I would love to see a detailed write up on how to pollinate Mexi Pings.
I have tried the toothpick method, small paintbrush, and pulling apart flowers.

I have had that same level of luck / skill. I need a real person next to me, giving me technique lessons!

This is thought was interesting:
Temperature Key: Summer Winter: Growing period:

1 32-34F 46-68F 4-6 months
2 34-39F 59-84 7-9 months
3 26-34F 45-65F 3-4 months
4 40-55F 60-85F year-round
5 35-50F 70-90F year-round
Southern Hemisphere?

To pollenate a ping manually you can use a small paint brush. The first insertion of the brush gets a load of pollen. The second insertion deposits the pollen on the stigma.

To self-pollenate, put the brush in twice. To cross pollenate, use two brushes. Insert a different brush once into each of the plants, swap brushes, and reinsert one more time only.

You may then want to put a little muslin bag around each flower to prevent further cross-pollenation. Make sure and keep good records!

Must be a very small paintbrush!

---------- Post added at 12:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

I just used two sharpened pencils, in and out and switched flowers, on these two plants:

Picture001-27.jpg

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

Picture.jpg

Back