What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. gypsicola leaves sprouting 17 days

uphwiz

jimmy
jimscott suggested this method and it was as simple , as it was quick . :-D
I pulled the adult leaves from the parent plant on the 17th of Sept, laid them on an paper towel , folded the paper towel in half without squishing the leaves, placed the paper towel in a sandwich bag didnt zipp it closed ,and in 17 days they are sprouting. now jimscott what do i do
with them? :blush:
Should I wait till I can identify the end with roots?
I think I can see leaves close to the left end in the second pic, can I just lay them on my regular ping mix ?
Can you or anyone think of a way to gently hold them to the surface of the soil?:poke:
IMG_3319.jpg
IMG_3320.jpg

Wow! I gotta try this trick! Maybe it would work better on the hard to root ones!

Wow! I gotta try this trick! Maybe it would work better on the hard to root ones!
Then I can get a P. laueana, P. esseriana, and P. medusina from you?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulaions! You may want to incorporate some crushed coral int its permanent media. Yeah, P. laueana is comparably as difficult.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now at 23 days, potted.
I trimmed off all but about 1/4 inch of the leaf and buried the micro plant with the leftover portion of the leaf holding the plantlett in place, the leaf is still there and just under the soil line.
seems to be growing, so far so good.:-D
IMG_3361pgypsicola.jpg

I'm trying a little experiment. I put leaves in a egg carton, right under the light.

No need to identify the orientation of such small plantlets, they can sort it out for themselves. All you need to do is lay them, parent leaf, and all on the surface of suitable media, in a suitable Pinguicula environment. No need to hold them on the media surface, they will find it for themselves.

These plants are very capable survivors. All we really need to do is make sure the environment we provide for them is as close to optimal as possible, they will take care of the rest.

Here is a tray of similar sprouts a few weeks after placing their parent leaves onto a paper towel:
P_gypsicola_7Nov07-016.jpg

Here is a pic of one a few weeks after placing it in an individual pot with media (these are the same clone, but the plantlets are not the same generation used to produce the small one in the pot):

P_gypsicola_small.jpg

Welcome back, Joseph. I hope all is well. Good to see you online again.

Fantastic growing, guys! Congratulations!

Back