What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Pinguicula moctezumae is confused...

Just an update - see the regrowth on this baby??

DSC00009.JPG

Also it looks like there is a little plantlet coming along, probably arising from the base of an older dying/dead leaf.

I'd recommend continuing to provide a very light feeding, to inspire continued strong growth. Don't wait until the plant is again on the verge of starvation.

I believe there's also another little plantlet on the other side of the crown. Happy to see it! My leaf pulling that I took and mentioned earlier in this thread also sprouted plantlets. Last night I noticed the leaves had pretty much fully deteriorated, so I took the plantlet and gently pressed it into the soil next to this larger plant. Fingers crossed that it will take root!

I will certainly be more diligent about feeding this guy - two months is way too long to wait, if this plant's reaction to that period of no feeding was any indication. Would you recommend light bi-weekly feedings? My concern is that I once again overfeed this plant and it starts to turn yellow and shrivel up like it did on page 3 of this thread. I know that underfeeding is better than overfeeding...

I frequently feed mine a very light dusting of dried insect powder, then spritz lightly with a 40-60ppm solution of Peter's 20-20-20 with trace nutrients. I do the dusting right after the plant has grown two to three new leaves, then I put a little dust on about 50% of the new leaves and all of the older, previously dusted leaves, and then spritz them all until there is a film of the weak fertilizer solution covering the leaves. Almost immediately secretions from the leaves cause some of the solution to run down into the leaf axils and onto the media at the base of the plants. I spritz the fertilizer solution as often as every day, but only as often as I think it's needed. Just before I add fresh insect dust I often wash the leaves clean with a firm spritz of pure water.

Last edited:
OK - the saga continues! LOL!

This thing regrew quite nicely and has been putting out some very well-formed and deep-colored flowers. And now this is happening:
62edd47d.jpg

The tips of the leaves are shriveling up. The plant also isn't growing quite as vigorously as it was a few months ago. But it is still flowering regularly.

...too wet? That's my first suspicion. It could also be the sand in the soil - I believe this same sand has caused issues for a number of my other CPs.

I wish I knew. They grow great guns for several months and then decline. These get treated differently than most Mexican pings. Instead of well-drained, somewhat dry media, these seem to want more moist media and LFS.

If things are going backwards, maybe you should take a leaf pulling? Also, if it's flowered, maybe that has somehow exhausted it? Just some ideas! :)

Repotting into fresh media is something I often do when they start to slow down, but sometimes they seem to just need a little break.

Back