What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to grow a Pinguicula 'Titan'

How do i to grow a Pinguicula 'Titan'?

Last edited by a moderator:
You've been asking a lot of questions, specifically regarding growing directions, which is great. Asking questions is the best way to learn things for your specific needs or circumstances. However, I have to encourage you to take your plant keeping to the next level and start really digging in and doing some research. Trust me, in the long run, you'll have much better results when you just know what specific plants need and you understand how you can tweak things according to your specific conditions and needs. There are a lot of places to start, especially online. Even Google can be moderately trustworthy. Use common sense, though, and make sure you're reading from pages where the people seem to have at least some real understanding of the plants. For example, you don't want to follow a conversation on a random gardening forum somewhere that goes something like, "Hey, I bought venus flytrap at the local super market and I'm wondering how I should care for it." "Oh, yeah, I had one of those once! This is what I did: ... "

To help you get started with this specific question, start digging for what type of Ping this is. Is it a temperate? Warm-temperate? Tropical? That will typically lead you in the right direction as far as soil recipe, temperatures, humidity, seasonality, etc. go.

Besides, it's so much more fun to dig and learn! More often than not, you'll end up learning a lot of stuff you weren't even looking for, which is always great!

Good luck! If you have trouble finding any resources, I'd be happy to help, I just want you to start getting into the habit of researching, 'cause that'll always give you the best results. ^.^

Here is what i have to say now that i have to repeat myself because of _ReApEr here is what i know

i have never had a P. 'Titan' and only had one Ping ever and it died because of fungus knat larvae and i only know to give it distilled water only and give it sunlight and it is tropical and keep it in a soil mix of half peat moss half perlite and that's it so basicaly i'm back where i started and that might have subtracted two or three sentenceses from someone explaining that to me so please how should i grow this specific plant?

---------- Post added at 09:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 PM ----------

and also i don't like reashearching like that because i have gotten really bad info compared to forums and www.*************** like growing in terrariums and indirect sunlight.

That was a little overly and unnecessarily hostile. I was simply trying to help you on a deeper level than just answering your questions. I guess I apologize for having offended you by doing so.

My best advice for growing Mexican Pinguicula species is in the first thread stuck at the top of the Pinguicula sub-forum. Here is a link --> Growing Mexican Pinguicula.

Here are a couple of new plantlets of Pinguicula 'Titan' growing together in a 2-1/4" pot.

P_Titan_web_A2.jpg

^^ that's a gorgeous looking ping. That'll have to be the next ping on my want list!!

I've only had one Mexican ping - P. moctezumae. I managed to kill one of them pretty quickly, and now I'm on my second. Through trial and error, and by following some helpful advice from folks on TF, I've come to work by the following pointers: they like it wet, they like lots of light (obviously), they like an airy soil mixture with a good amount of vermiculite and sand, and they don't like to be overfed. These are just the conditions I've used to bring my ping back from the verge of death; other things might work better for other people, and I can't say my ping is exactly thriving right now either. I also can't speak much about temperatures. My grow rack stays around 80-85F during the day and 70 overnight, but as winter sets in and my landlord's stinginess with the heating bill becomes ever more apparent, I suspect temperatures will fall a good amount and I may have to reassess.

Of course, this advice falls under the category of what Reaper might describe as "moderately untrustworthy," and rightly so. I make no illusions about the fact that I am new enough to CP cultivation that I haven't yet raised any plants through a full year of growing and the seasonal changes (or emulations thereof, in my case) that it entails, and therefore the advice I'm giving you is shoddy at best. I would suggest the same thing that Reaper did - do independent research (read The Savage Garden cover to cover!), get some ideas, and bounce them off of the folks here. It really allows you to focus your questions and have more informed discussions.

Best of luck growing your P. 'Titan'!

TheFury,
During Winter, most (if not all) Mexican Pinguicula do well with cool to cold nights (safe if kept above freezing). Most will bloom more easily and profusely when grown with cool night temperatures.

Here is a photo of Pinguicula 'Titan' in bloom -->

P_Titan_b_sml.jpg

Hey, maybe the landlord's "frugal" heat usage is a blessing in disguise, then!

The best policy is to leave 'em alone. Trust me. Don't fuss over them too much. I have a nice mature tray of pings and they are flowering and diving like nobody's business. How do I grow them? Under T-5 bulbs. I water them once a week, which essentially makes the tray dry for half of the week. I also have a small fan blowing over the plants for 12 hours a day to keep good circulation. Additionally, I don't cut back on water contrary to what many say... I do not change the growing habits throughout the year and the plants are thriving.

Phil

Thanks Good Scripture!

suite

P. 'Titan' have a incertain taxonomy status but we think it is a hybrid ( may be P. agnata x macrophylla)

cultivate like all the normal mexican and their hybrids .

for my part , in mineral calcareous clayed substrate .
here in europe
in summer outdoor , in shade or in a mornig sunlight , protected from rain
watering by capillarity all the 15 days or a time monthly.
in winter indoor , 12-15°c , no watering or just to avoid desiccation, good light .

jeff

Back