What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are some small Pinguicula that grow year-round?

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
I'm looking for a Pinguicula to grow in my Cephalotus pot. The soil is 1 part peat, 2 parts perlite, 1 part sand with a thin top-dressing of sphagnum moss.

The Cephalotus is on one side of the 4-inch pot, giving me 2.5 inches of open area. I would like to fill that open area with another carnivorous plant, specifically a Pinguicula (I have a sentimental attachment to Pinguicula).

To make a long question short, I need a small (less than 2-inches in diameter) butterwort that will grow year round in the same pot of Cephalotus.

Any suggestions?

I'd try Pinguicula lusitanica or even Pinguicula pumila. Both are small and quick growing plants.

If you have strong enough lighting, you may even succeed with Pinguicula esseriana, Pinguicula jaumavensis, Pinguicula debbertiana, Pinguicula gracilis, or many of the other smaller Mexican species.

I have P. esseriana, P. jaumavensis & P. cyclosecta all growing VERY successfully with Cephs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I grow my P. moctezumae all year round.. but it's not all that small.

I'd go with P. lusitanica. For one, it's easy. Two, it stays small but can colonize a larger space. Three, it's not hard to obtain so if your Ceph grows out and squishes it you won't have to fret over replacing it. (It sets seed easy so you might not even have to worry about finding new material if the Ceph overtakes it - I guess that makes four.)
~Joe

I have P. esseriana, P. jaumavensis & P. cyclosecta all growing VERY successfully with Cephs.

Could P. esseriana or P. jaumavensis grow year round?

P. lusitanica and P. pumila are a annual species

P. emarginata is also interessant with a flowering all the year

jeff

A lot of the Mexican pings would do well:

Picture042-1.jpg
P. "1717"

Picture040-3.jpg
P. 'Weser'

Picture031-4.jpg
P. 'Pirouette'

....just to name a few...

Pinguicula lusitanica is officially considered a perennial species that sometimes behaves as an annual species (depending on habitat), and Pinguicula pumila is also considered either annual or perennial (depending on habitat), yet some of us have had little difficulty growing both of these continuously for many years.

suite

it is a error for lusitanica , they are not perennial

here in europe ( france-spain- portugal-irland) 'in situ' this specie is clairely annual , sometimes bi or tri annual according to their ecology ,sometime immerged in spring , I know her very very well for studying.

see my web site here pinguicula

jeff

jeff,
I envy you having the Pinguicula lusitanica in your local area, several times I also lived near various CP species.

I don't doubt that Pinguicula lusitanica grows as an annual in your local habitat. However, I know that it can grow as a biannual/triennial/perennial, I've done it myself, though it may not grow naturally as a perennial.

Last edited:
I have a question about Pinguicula "Sethos". How big is the diameter on a full-grown plant? I need something with a diameter of less than 3 inches, preferably smaller.

P. 'Sethos' It actually does get around 2.5-3 inches after a while so it's probably not going to be what you're looking for. It's extremely purty though :)

hum : 3 inch = 7.6 cm

it is a little x 'Sethos' in cultivate we are more normaly on 12cm , in a garden center with a horticol " boostage"
sometimes 20cm .

jeff

Here is the size my P. 'Sethos' achieve in my usual conditions under strong artificial light.

P_Sethos_Jan2002.jpg

Under lower light the color fades and the leaves can grow much larger.

Here is the size my P. 'Sethos' achieve in my usual conditions under strong artificial light.

P_Sethos_Jan2002.jpg

Under lower light the color fades and the leaves can grow much larger.

Hmm. I guess it's too large for my pot o' Cephalotus. I guess I'll try and stick with a small Drosera or something. I'm thinking Spatulata, but it's a little boring. Are there any other small Drosera (not Pygmy sundews) that look really beautiful and unique? I want to try an Intermedia "Cuba" but I can't seem to find any.

Here is a photo of Pinguicula esseriana, this is the largest I've been able to grow them - in less than optimal conditions they can be one inch in diameter or even somewhat smaller, and they will still bloom. When these larger size plants are grown in 2-1/4" square pots, the leaves will exceed the confines of the pot by an eighth of an inch or so (making them overall, about 2-1/2" in diameter).

P_esseriana_lg_AA1.jpg

suite

the largest here in a normal condition out door in summer .
P.gigantea : 50cm

gigantea1.JPG

I think always that P.emarginata for you is a good choice ( for their very very good flowering along the year)

jeff
Pinguicula & Cie

I have D. intermedia 'cuba'--in seed form.

Back