What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula gypsicola - amazing plants

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
One of my very favorite Mexican Pinguicula species --> Pinguicula gypsicola.

P_gypsicola_sand-coral_web.jpg

I began growing this species when I received a small portion that had been grown in tissue culture. At first I attempted to grow them in 100% granular peat moss, and though they survived, they certainly were not vigorous or healthy. I also managed to propagate some with leaf-pullings, though when I first began growing them, all my plants had leaves that were so pale as to be almost white (including the propagules), and they never bloomed.

After trying several media variations and other horticulture tricks (theory of limiting factors), I finally succeeded in growing larger, healthier looking plants, and getting one to bloom, in fact the one in the photo above was the first one I induced into bloom.

Here is a link showing what my plants looked like when I first started growing them. Here is a page showing what some looked like in some later experiments. Another nice specimen is here.

They can look real good when they bloom, too -->
P_gypsicola_3Nov07_032.jpg

Despite my neglect due to health issues these past four years, several of them have survived and are quickly recovering. I anxiously await their achieving full health and for them to begin blooming, again and for me to begin propagating them again.

How large of a pot was/is that plant in?!

Mine is dormant right now.. can't wait for it to wake up in the spring.

100_6705.jpg

massmorels,

Nice plant, good job.

If you watch real close, you'll see that your plant is continuing to grow new leaves. So it's not really "dormant". This species is known as heterophyllous (two leaves), meaning that it has two types of leaves or leaf forms. Many of these heterophyllous species have been mistakenly thought of as being dormant when in their smaller, Winter leaf form. Dormant plants slow their growth or nearly cease growing, Mexican Pinguicula do not stop growing.

How large of a pot was/is that plant in?!
The plant in the first photo is in a deep rose pot, 2-1/4" square and it is sitting in a rocks glass full of water. The media is 1/2 silica sand and 1/2 coral sand. The top corners of the pot almost touch the inside rim of the glass and the top of the pot sits just below the top of the rocks glass.

yeah, I know.. They continue to grow by putting out non-carnivorous, succulent like leaves. But it's a "dormant-like state" that they are in this time of year, since they aren't growing to their full potential.

Mass,
That P. gypsicola bloomed 3 times last summer

Last edited by a moderator:
A chronology of sorts:

HPIM0836.jpg

Picture023.jpg

Picture006-9.jpg

Picture001-3.jpg

i'd love to obtain this plant, along with a few other pings like P. colimensis but it seems my cultivation techniques aren't up to par with you guys, and i've lost more Pings than ANY other genus in my collection. i hope i can get it straightened out till then. so far, i've managed to keep P. esseriana, P. laueana, P. rotundiflora, and P. 'Sethos' alive....so far.....

amphirion,
You have a good chance of success, if you never give up. It took me several years working with P. gypsicola before I managed to grow them well enough to have flowers. It can be challenging to figure out what they need in any particular environment to grow optimally.

i'd love to obtain this plant, along with a few other pings like P. colimensis but it seems my cultivation techniques aren't up to par with you guys, and i've lost more Pings than ANY other genus in my collection. i hope i can get it straightened out till then. so far, i've managed to keep P. esseriana, P. laueana, P. rotundiflora, and P. 'Sethos' alive....so far.....

I'd be happy to work out a trade with you someday.

@jim: might do that---hopefully sooner than later. i do love your ping collection!

Im not that into pings but this one is rlly interesting :D

Here's a photo of one, taken in January 2009, that was kept under strong artificial lighting, but completely dry for eighteen months prior to the photo -->
P_gypsicola%20011_Sharp.JPG

The crown has split, four-ways. There are lots of old dead leaves and spent flower stalks. Also, the surface of the media has dried and curled up around the base of the plant.

After this I was able to keep them watered for about a month, then they were completely dry again until this past October (October 2010). Many were still doing well, having continued to grow in Winter leaf mode the entire time. Tough little plants, but those growing under lamps that had failed, perished. Those whose light source remained strong, were likewise, also staying strong. They are now beginning to grow Summer leaves (even though it is Winter) and continuing to grow stronger.

Media experiment:
Soon after I planted some small plantlets into all-mineral media with added iron oxide powder, they developed this increased reddish hue to their leaves. Here is a photo of one of them -->
P_gypsicola_small.jpg

Last edited:
you mean the D. graomogolensis ? i wont have anything available for a while....they're all just plantlets right now. i want them at least a quarter size before giving them out.

Back