What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

moranensis substrate test

these tests made on a substrate moranensis, taken on site ,shows a substrate very siliceous

albite (NaAlSi3O8)
trydimite (SiO2)
hematite (Fe2O3)
pyroxene (with a base of SiO4) but which may be alkaline or lime-ferromagnesian
zeolite (no precise determination)

so basically a limestone clay mineral substrate suits them very well adding a "akadama" replacing the zeolite will be ok.

jeff

Looks like you've covered all the bases, in terms of drainage, pH, and nutrition. Can you market that recipe?

jeff,
I am not sure why you call it a "limestone"? All limestone I'm familiar with is predominantly calcium carbonate (CaCO<sub>3</sub>), your analysis does not indicate any calcium in the substrate, unless you left something out of your analysis. Even if the pyroxene were the kind containing calcium it would still not be limestone.

I'm glad your analysis indicated a component of hematite (Fe<sub>2</sub>O<sub>3</sub>). I've been including Fe<sub>2</sub>O<sub>3</sub> in my Mexican Pinguicula media for many years now. I believe it helps reduce chlorosis in my plants. Apparently iron is more bioavailable at lower pH.

suite

you're right you should see the word "limestone" as a alkaline genre , Ph above 7 :blush:

I use like base of my substrate ( mexican and a lot of temperate), since a long time , a cat litter ( sepiolite or attapulgite) without problem with now " akadama" ( bonzaï clay) 40/10 %

jeff

jeff,
Thanks for the clarification. I too sometimes include coral sand and other ingredients that raise the pH of my Mexican Pinguicula media above 7, usually with good results. Presently I've simplified to using a small quantity of LFS in the bottom of the pot to retain smaller media particles. Then I fill the pot with iron oxide dusted perlite, topped with a 1/4" layer of APS or cat litter granules (I premoisten the APS/cat litter with 40 ppm solution of fertilizer), then coat the media surface with a dusting of RootShield®, then a dusting of dried/powdered insects. I poke a small planting hole through the APS and into the perlite, sprinkle a little more insect dust into the hole, then insert the plant and push the media against the roots/stem base.

This has worked well, but I frequently try new things anyway.

suite

for my mexican and some temperate species I use this substrat ( more mineral)

cat litter with some time "akadama" 50% ( water retention)
pouzzolane 12.5% ( aeration)
river sand 12.5% [ capillarity -( "allegeant "- "liant" in french )]
vermiculite 12.5% (allegeant)
calcareous sand 12.5% ( calcareous power)

I have try others solutions but this one is a good arrangement .

I use no fertitizer , in summer outdoor , insects do the trick , in winter indoor , the leaves are succulents no need .

jeff
Pinguicula & Cie

Last edited:
Back