What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are good Pinguicula for outdoor bog gardens?

Hello.
Merry Christmas.

Well, since I might be making a large bog container this spring, I've been searching options on plants I could put in there. I already have enough Sarracenia, Temperate Drosera, and Dionaea, and I might add some U. subulata in there just for show.
I was wondering, what are some good US warm-temperate Pinguicula that can stand full sun and possible low humidity (on those special days were we get wind from the west instead of humid southeastern air) and not die/burn. I already have the warm-temperate plant P. primuliflora but I know it dislikes high light so I don't think I would be able to add it to the planter (unless if I hide it between the pitcher plants, what do you think of that?). I'd like US-native plants but IDK how many there are. I don't think I could make it wet enough for P. planifolia, but IDK what the other warm-temperates need. What about P. lutea/P. caerula? What about P. macroceras? I know it is a cold-temperate and I wonder if I could make it cool enough for them? What do you think?

Thank you. :)

My vote would be P. planifolia (which adores full sunlight) or P. caerulea. P. lutea would also thrive in full sun, but they are a little tricky to grow. They will grow fine for about a year and then promptly die without explanation. That's what happened to several of mine over the course of several years, and people like Peter D'Amato say the same thing happens to theirs too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any of the pings found in the southern US will grow well in your bog, but the cold-temperate ones would not....just not cool enough in texas.

P. pumila should work out. It seems to produce seed well and has become almost as weedy as P. lusitanica for me. Both should work out for you as well. P. lusitanica does not seem to be badly affected by composition of the media / substrate. i see it sprouting in my highly mineral Mexican pinguicula mix that was an initial mistake....

I think that P. primuliflora would be a good choice.

suite

P. pumila is a native TEXAS species you know.

for me I think P. caerulea-P. lutea and P. pumila and perhaps P. macroceras subsp macroceras or P. macroceras subsp nortensis are OK .
their substrate need not be too wet , for the 3 first a sandy peaty substrate for the 2 others just blond peat .

for these 3 others P. primuliflora-P. planifolia-P. ionantha more wet with sometimes in spring a immerse period.

jeff

Thanks for the replies, I think I will go with P. caerulea and P. lutea, thank you. :)

Back