What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

unidentified ping

hello iv got last week 2 Pinguicula and i don't really know their spices
i thought to drop some pics on here, maybe you can help me to identify them.

the first one:
Picture009.jpg

the second one:
Picture010.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome shinsuko.

I can be fairly certain they are tropical species or hybrids from near the equator in the Western hemisphere, probably Mexico.

Many of these Pinguicula, especially when grown in lower than optimal light levels become lest distinct. They lose some of the distinguishing morphological characteristics of their non-reproductive parts. The flowers usually are the part of the plant less affected by changes in its environment - so they are usually the best way to identify Pinguicula, especially in these situations. However, some species respond to less-than-optimal conditions by refusing to bloom.

Your best chance of identifying these plants is to learn how to provide them a better environment, then waiting for them to bloom and/or grow to look more distinctive.

Under the circumstances, with the plants looking light-starved and somewhat etiolated, I would guess that the first one might be P. moranensis or derived from a P. moranensis hybrid, and the second one may be P. agnata, P. esseriana, or even P. ehlersiae. But these are only guesses, especially since neither plant is in bloom, right now.

thanks for reply.
they are located in terrarium which i builded out of aquarium. I made good circulation of air
and some other modifications for stable 80% humidity and the temp is also stable at 24-25 at day and 20-21 at night
i am putting those plants on light circulation of 12h light and 12h dark and i and my dump head some how where be able to construct lower watering system non automatic(dont trust those)
i have small problem about light which is less then what i think is needed so i'm going to construct 50w white
led on the top (50w led is scary thing, that thing can light a big room much more then needed.).

well those plants are living with D.capnesis in the terra and they all look happy like in nature.
the one you said that may be P. moranensis opened fully in only 2 and half days those 2 new leafs
which in the pic above and started to open the 3th leaf and the 4 already visible.
the smaller plant harder to trace if he growing or not so no idia about him
and the D. capnesis is also in the same pace as my big Pinguicula.

I'm bit worried about their food, from what i saw its needed for a good progress.
my big Ping and the D. capnesis is juicy like they should from the humidity so no problem feeding them
once a week, the food will stick. the smaller Ping is not giving any glue, it have some minimal glue amount on
its leafs but not enough for a live food, should i kill the food before giving to the ping ?

Last edited:
As to food, both your butterwort and sundew will gladly eat freezed dried bloodworms, pulverized into a powder.

thanks for reply jimscott.
as for freezed dried bloodworms i have no idia where to buy, i have been in some petshops
and found nothing. you have idia where else i may find those dried bloodworms ?
and if ill find some to buy, i just put abit powder on one leaf and so on once a week ? or ..?

The plant in the second photo looks a lot like my P. esseriana when it was in its succulent stage, but with less leaves at the base of the plant... so if that's the case, it would explain why there is no dew on the plant, as it is in its succulent phase.

Good luck! :)

Various other high protein, dry ingredients usually sold as tropical fish food (18% protein, or more) are similarly suitable for feeding Pinguicula. I've also used freeze-dried tubifex worms, and high protein flake fish food. I simply grind it to a powder before giving it to the plants, also be very stingy (it only takes a very little bit per feeding), too much can damage the leaves. I also use insects I've trapped with an electronic insect trap, then I dry and grind the insects to a powder, store them in old medicine bottles and use them as I need them. Important, especially when feeding, is a high level of PAR (photosynthetically active radiation). The plants can use remarkably high light levels, as long as temperatures don't get too high and cook the plants.

More detailed information on growing Mexican Pinguicula can be found here and here. Also another good site for in-depth information is pinguicula.org.

I would say the first is likely a P. 'Titan', and the second P. ehlersiae. Hard to say with out them being in prime condition and without flowers...

Last edited by a moderator:
i give them max 2 weeks till the start of a flowering, they grow really fast, i can see the progress per day.
till now it was 1 leaf per 1.5 day. and even for normal plant its fast.
i don't have my camera on me atm tomorrow i will post updated pic of those two i have
and ill show you the progress. in 4-5 days 3.5 leafs =P

the rate of growth does not indicate flowering though....
for me my pings will only flower during certain times of the year in certain conditions...

difficult to identify without the flower.

for me pinguicula are not a terrarium plants ( except 3-4 species)

what substrate ?

jeff

25% vermiculite 25% perlite 25% silica sand 25% peat moss

Edit:
here my big ping pic after 4-5 days after the first pic:
Pictures002.jpg

if you get hard time to see the diff then use the dead spider as the indicator. =P

also the leaves which have grown under my terrarium are more redish then the leaves
that the ping grown before i got her.

Last edited:
I'm not sure where you live, but Walmart stores have freezed dried bloodworms.

Thanks For Reply.
I'm from Israel and i guess i found some stores which sell Freezed Dried BloodWorms but please anyone
can write exactly how to use it on my ping/drosera ? i got the fact that i first turn it into powder
but then i just put it in small amount per feed? its goes good as powder without any juice in it or i need
to spay some purified water on the leafs with the powder ?
sorry for the heavy questioning but i want to be sure i doing exactly the right thing, i don't want to
hurt the plants.

You should read the links I posted for you.

A very light dusting of the insect powder is best. You can speed up the absorption process with a little light spritz of water, before or after the dusting on the leaves. This can be repeated every few days, but it helps if you rinse most of the old insect powder off, before adding fresh.

suite

I think too peat in the substrate and not enough light , this plant is etioled.

all the straw for aquarium fish may be OK,but with parsimony especially in terra ( attention to the rot )

see if your pinguicula have mucilage , in this case often they have not , also no need to feed

jeff

Last edited:
thanks for Reply.

Joseph - thanks about the instruction.

Jeff - I hope they will survive 10 days since only in 10 days i gonna get my order with the lights i'm going to construct in the terra and i will have more then 10k lumines so its going to be ok.
About the Mucilage, the ping in the picture above have it and i must say full of it. the second ping i have and posted in the first post don't have any Mucilage so i figured there is no need to feed it.
And about the color(etioled), well the big leafs are pale but the newer one have redish paint on them
so my theory is that i have better conditions in my terra then where it was before so the older leaf pale
and the new more green and have little bit of red flavor.
I am sorry if its seems to be pale, my camera sucks =[.

Back