What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula cyclosecta

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
I've grown to love Mexican and other tropical Pinguicula. Here is another fascinating species: Pinguicula cyclosecta.

When I first began to grow this species I used 100% granulated sphagnum peat moss. It could work well, but always quickly deteriorated in my conditions -->

P_cyclosecta_AA1_web.jpg

The white spots on the media surface are where mineral salts have precipitated/crystallized into hard lumps.

This is the same group of plants in bloom -->

P_cyclosecta_m1.jpg

By this time mosses have colonized the exposed peat surface, and the blossoms are blocking some light from the plants leaves.

In each image you can see small plantlets emerging from beneath the adult plants. Apparently older leaves, as they senesce, sometimes produce plantlets, these plantlets grow their way out from beneath the parent plants canopy.

All of the plants shown in this post are clones of the same original plant, propagated by leaf-pullings.

This photo shows how, depending on their growing conditions, can remain small (and still bloom). These are planted in a mixture of pumice and sphagnum peat moss -->

P_cyclosecta_t2_web.jpg

They grow well for me when I keep them close under fluorescent lighting, frequently feed with dried insect dust, and keep wet 24/7/365. These are planted in all mineral media mixtures of silica sand, coral sand, iron oxide, and ceramic granules -->

P_cyclosecta_tray.jpg

And they can tolerate fairly long periods of time completely dry, as long as they still have lots of strong light -->

P_cyclosecta_015sml.JPG

This last image is of plants that have been dry for approximately eighteen months.

SHUT. THE. FRONT. DOOR. this is probably by far, my most favorite out of all the pings. ITS SO PURPLE IM GONNA DIE!

Very nice, that has got to be one of my faves because of the colors it gets, sadly I believe I've lost it, but would love to get it back.

My Yucca Do "1714" (also P. cyclosecta) at one point...I know I had better purple, but can't find a picture right now.

cyclosecta.jpg

1714.JPG

Last edited:
nice plants. This has to be one of my favourite pings... I need one. :p

these were my first pings that i started form leaf pullings sent to me by a friend

DSC_03030001.jpg

Yes, I love the colors of this plant. I posted these close-ups before but why not enjoy them again?

02030036.jpg

02030035.jpg

02030035a.jpg

Superb, thanks everyone for all the shared photos. More are very welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never had Pinguicula cyclosecta flower.

Picture052-3.jpg

Like Joseph I too keep my pings wet all year round and they really seem to love it. Pinguicula cyclosecta seems just as eager as any other ping to divide itself while flowering. I originally got mine from Jim Scott (thanks!) and it has since divided 3 times and has been flowering since the summer.

Nice plants in this thread. You guys are making me want a Ping:p.

Phil, you do nice work!

Last edited:
Thanks Jim! Trust me, it was with much trial and error and several plants that expired. About a year ago I found the perfect conditions for my plants and they have just been going nuts. A few relatives of your plants are in there :)

To get back on topic. Here's some shots of my P. cyclosecta across time. No flowers as of yet.

30 months ago
P7060131.jpg

13 months ago
PB100095.jpg

today
_IGP8158a.jpg

Not a Number,
Have you tried dropping the night temperatures?

I've obtained the best blooming response after I mounted an evaporative cooler in the window of my plant room. I kept the cooler pads wet, year-'round, this helped temperatures during Winter nights, in the plant room to drop into the mid 40'sF (approx 7C). Soon every plant mature enough to bloom, started growing flowers.

Before I consciously manipulated Winter temperatures to induce blooming, my Pinguicula cyclosecta only bloomed occasionally.

I see you did a little feeding with wingless fruit flies.

Yes, I saw your earlier post about low winter temperatures. It doesn't get much cooler than the low 60's during the winter on my windowsill so I'll have to move them outdoors. A few of the others had their flowers already, some of the others don't start until mid/late January.

It is blooming for me in my grow room. I don't ever get temps down to the 40's in there. Seem i have had them bloom shortly after i got them to grow from leaf cuttings. So maybe March - April one year last year and just had another one flower the last few.

Back