What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new seeds and bloom ? Oo

hi all i'v just got some seeds i ordered, and i would like to ask if i need to know somthing special
to grow them or its the same with every seed...

the seeds:
IMG_0012.jpg

In addition one of my pings started to bloom in winter mode Oo
but im not sure about it XD i don't want to wait another couple of weeks and nothing happens.

so please if you can, tell me im not having illusions .
IMG_0008_picnik.jpg

Not sure about the others but D. felix seems to like exeptionally clean soil/water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Drosera do well in a 1:1 peat/sand mix....i dont know anything about Pinguicula seed growing, so you'll need someone else to chime in. :)

There are many different groups of Drosera and Pinguicula, that each require somewhat different germinating/growing conditions. I recommend contacting your seed source for recommendations/cultivation information, then ask questions about each specific species of seed that you intend to germinate/cultivate. CP can be very exacting/demanding in the conditions necessary for successful germination and subsequent growth to maturity.

how about the second picture ? it is a blooming or its me with my illusions ? XD

To my very untrained eye, I would say that it is a flower on the way! If not, we are both seeing things!:-D

i would like to ask if i need to know somthing special
to grow them or its the same with every seed...

You are a beginner with CP seeds, are you?

The hardy Pinguicula from France/Europe should germinate better after a previous cold stratification (perhaps ask the vendor about cold stratification needs).

The Pincuicula substrate should contain a small amount of certain limestone and vermiculite, while Drosera species are germinating well in pure peat or mixes of peat with pure silica sand and/or perlite.

If you are not sure, get some extended information before sowing!

If you have enough seeds in each packet, you can split each portion and sow each half-portion under slightly differing germination conditions (you can modify date of sowing, lighting, substrate mix, temperatures, humidity).

Good luck!

how about the second picture ? it is a blooming or its me with my illusions ? XD
Yes, it seems that your Pinguicula may be forming a flower bud. Though its growing conditions appear to be substandard for the plant.

Yes, it seems that your Pinguicula may be forming a flower bud. Though its growing conditions appear to be substandard for the plant.

how is that ? i have in my terra more then 5k lumin and stable 80% humidity.
the temp is not less then 21 and not more then 26
the best conditions.

Your temperatures and humidity sound fine.

Perhaps I am mistaken (I hope so). But the appearance of the Pinguicula plant in your photo, looks like it is growing in lower than optimal light levels. Many Pinguicula can grow and bloom in lower light levels than many other CP, but, especially when using artificial lighting they can thrive in even higher light levels.

Maybe these links will help explain what I mean -- Measuring Light Levels. Wikipedia article about Photosynthetically Active Radiation (PAR), light that can be used by plants.

from the info in the "measuring light levels" article i do have enough light =X
even more. i have near 100W and by my Lumins measure i have more then 5k near 5.5k
and yes i have lumins measuring tool so its measured by me(and not only written on the box when i got it)
from my knowledge its enough to make the plant happy. ;D

What is the distance between your lights and the plants and how long are your lights on, continuously?

30sm from the soil and its on auto clock of 12\12

suite

longifolia subsp longifolia and longifolia subsp caussensis actually are in dormancy in hibernaculae

these species are a mineral calcareous species , you can saw them in this substrate immediately
always outdoor and wet , in shade or with a suny light in morning .

wake up here in europe in march- april , adult flowering in april-may

for the orchidioides you can saw them immediately indoor according to the blotting paper method .

on your second picture your plant is in dormancy ,etioled , with a flower bud it seems to me.

you live in what country ?

jeff

my web page

Last edited:
jeff,
You do realize that "dormancy" and "flower bud" do not go together, right? :poke:

suite

for me the succulent stage is a sort of dormancy and the flower come from often in this stage on the mexican ping

for the light see here the document in french

http://pinguicula.free.fr/lumiere1.jpeg

heliophile = suny plants
sciaphile = shady plants

the scale for exemple

full sun = 100000 lux ( 1000 watt/m² ); overcast =25000 lux ; well-lit room = 300 lux ;work shop = 300lux ; moon light =10 lux

jeff

30sm from the soil and its on auto clock of 12\12
Artificial light quickly weakens as distance from the source increases, especially with fluorescent lamps. I position my own plants within 10cm of their fluorescent light source or closer - only increasing the distance, temporarily to accommodate flowers as they form. Your photo-period sounds good.

If your Mexican Pinguicula is actually getting good lighting, it could soon grow to look more like these -->

P_ehlersiae_alba_A.jpg

P_ehlersiae_web_BCP.jpg

i meant 30cm
if that so then i will add 4 more hours to my pings and see what happens

in addition i just constructed my seed germinating box with even better conditions then my terra
i have there i hell lot of light ( 130W of 2 X 65W florecent blubs) located 20cm above the 2 big plates
which going to be the soil containers and i made it easy lower watering and even added the best small
computer fan that i could find for air circulation on the side of the box (i had to drill holes in the box =P)
and with all that, i made the fan to intake the air into the box and located fogger near the fan.
ill post a picture soon. i didn't finish to testing it since i don't want to have to high temp because the close light, i also need to measure them and i need to make that box work with half conditions (without soil or water) and see what the stable result of humidity and temp.

for that i have a question, for seeds, i need also the same amount of light hours as the adult plant ? (16-hours of light as Joseph suggested)

Drosera plants definitely need much stronger light than Pinguicula. Though they can both do well in a similar, strong amount of fluorescent lighting.

Back