What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spring is just around the corner...Not!

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
For these guys, though, it's time to initiate flowering:

100_8909.jpg

100_8908.jpg

Looks good Jim. Do you typically cut back on water during the winter months? Also, Spring is just around the corner for me :)

I definitely cut back on watering, daylength, and temps are lower... but not low enough.

Nice! Can't wait to see pics of the first blooms. After kicking my photoperiod back up to the normal 16 hours just a few days ago, I noticed that my P. primuliflora is already forming a flower bud. It really acted fast! They don't call it P. primuliflora (early flower) for nothing!

Here in Western NY, winter is about half over..
Two and a half months down..Two and a half months still to go. :(

seasons.gif

I usually bring my Sarrs and VFT's out of dormancy in mid-February..then they spend 6 weeks indoors until they go outside in April..but last spring I let them slumber until March, and they went outdoors earlier..
I think im going to try that again this year..leave them in the basement stairwell until Mid-March or so, or until its warm enough that they can go outdoors in the balmy 40 degree air of March and April..

Scot

I remember putting them out in April, thinking they should be safe from frosts. But we still had a couple 20-something overnight lows left. Obviously, they can take a few.

Scot, I would go nuts if I have a winter like yours :) Just this morning I checked to see if I had any flower buds and still none... but it shouldn't be long!

This season, here in Tucson, we've had an unusually cold beginning to our winter season. But now it is becoming more normal, for us. High 60's to low 70'sF in the daytime and down into the 40'sF at night. If it continues, as normal, it will only gradually become warmer and warmer. So, if everything remains, "normal", our spring is already here. We just need to watch for the occasional dip down near freezing, at night. It should be in the 80'sF by March, or sooner.

Here in Western NY, winter is about half over..
Two and a half months down..Two and a half months still to go. :(

seasons.gif

I usually bring my Sarrs and VFT's out of dormancy in mid-February..then they spend 6 weeks indoors until they go outside in April..but last spring I let them slumber until March, and they went outdoors earlier..
I think im going to try that again this year..leave them in the basement stairwell until Mid-March or so, or until its warm enough that they can go outdoors in the balmy 40 degree air of March and April..

Scot

I do the same..I leave mine in the basement untill march and then put them outside...I can't really take them out of dormancy earlier due to the fact that I don't have any more space under the growlights.

I actually stumbled upon a wholesale greenhouse last winter, just looking for pots. I was asked what I needed them for and when I reluctantly said they were for carnivorous plants, the owner got excited and saw me as a vehicle to obtaining cobra lilys. Long story short, I introduced her to sundews and butterworts while she gave me pots and a place to keep the VFT's & Sarracenia for the winter. They are currently residing there, in a greenhouse that is maintained from 35-45 F for the winter.

Last edited by a moderator:
We had 5 below zero this morning when I got up! It's supposed to get to about 10 below tonight! So far about a total of 27-30 inches of snow. I am DONE with winter! Unfortunately, Mother Nature is not. Damn you North Atlantic Oscillation!

LOL! Punxatawney Phil is going to freeze to death!

Back