What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are hybrids in S.E. USA Pinguicula possible?

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
Can someone make a hybrid between Pinguicula lutea and Pinguicula caerulea? I really want to see what they flower on that would look like

Last edited by a moderator:
Despite lots of effort, by many growers, including myself, I don't believe it has ever been achieved.

Despite lots of effort, by many growers, including myself, I don't believe it has ever been achieved.

I read somewhere on the internet that they may have discovered a hybrid of P. planifolia and P. ionantha in the wild.

But still, it's a little peculiar that Mexican Pinguicula will hybrid readily (even northern Pinguicula will hybrid to my knowledge) but none in S.E Pinguicula.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will never stop trying. It seems we learn a great deal by creating hybrids of wild species.

I think you are referring to this page of the Florida CPS.

Perhaps somatic hybrids by protoplast fusion may be possible.

Protoplast fusion products between Pinguicula caerulea and Pinguicula lutea, seem like they would be easy to identify.

suite

in the scientific literature no one speaks of natural hybrid for the subtropical US

having the leaves apex more or less round and leaves more or less red may not claim the hybrid name .

for me just a caryotype can say that .

for the mexican - temperate and others the natural hybrid are not legion.

on the other hand the artificial crossing are plethora . For me, a botanist, we turn more about a marchandising that on a good knowledge of the nature.

jeff

Back