What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to Mexican Pinguicula - Help

aww my P. laueana pullking cied so i took another and the leaf broke without the white part :(
i have afeeling my pings are going to die

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't panic, take a deep breath. These plants are tougher than you may think.

Leaves can form plantlets, even if you don't have the basal portion.

Depending on the strength of your parent plant, you may be better, waiting for the plant to grow more, before taking more leaf pullings.

*Breathes in. and Out.*
LOL
Wel i hope these take. Do you think the parent plants will survive? They are currently under 24 hour loight in their winter rossette and their older leaves are dying but they are making new ones it looks like.. The P. laueana is in the media it came inn, and the P. agnata red leaf is in wet spahg/perlite

I hope your parent plants thrive. It is difficult to know for sure, until they've been growing for a few months. It sounds like your growing conditions are good, but we can't know for sure until the plants indicate the conditions are satisfactory, by continuing to grow well and thrive.

http://s691.photobucket.com/albums/vv271/doomsday_03/Carnivorous Plants 2011/

The 2,3.4th pics are my pings today. The other ones of the pings are from when they came about a week ago.

I am thinking of putting them on my cool windowsill until the spring sun comes and then puttting them back under the lights to acclimate them? Is this a good or bad idea? I could just leave them under to deal with it but i dont know how that will work since they are still non carnivorous leaves

From their appearance, it seems that your plants are receiving a great deal less light intensity than they are used to. This is evident because all of their new leaves are pale green and slightly etiolated (elongated). They may adapt to the lower light levels, successfully. However, in my experience, these plants are most vulnerable to rotting away, during this transition. If possible, I recommend giving them more artificial light. It may be as simple as moving them closer to the lights they have now. I would communicate with the originator to see how they were illuminated before you received them.

For most plants, even carnivorous ones, light is like food is for us. If we don't get enough food, we weaken, become more susceptible to all other stressors. But balance is most important, it must be maintained or nothing else will matter. But, don't forget too much food can be harmfull too.

Last edited:
WOW really, i thought i was giving to much. theyve had it for 24/ for A WEEK BUT ILL move them a couple inches closer

I had a Pinguicula 'Pirouette' a few years ago. When it arrived, I took off about ten leaves from the mother plant and laid them on soil to grow into plantlets. In several months, I had dozens of baby P. 'Pirouette'.

Back