What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my hypertufa set-up for my filiform Pinguicula

Candice324,
Very interesting thread. I wish you every success in establishing your Pinguicula colonies. I hope to see updates showing good progress as your endeavor progresses.
:-Othank you!
I just wished they grow up as fast as I'd want them to be, so I can update on them..:boogie::boogie:

ooh, also I won't capitalize the name of Pinguicula after 'P'. had no idea!

---------- Post added at 09:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 AM ----------

i need to get my self some leaf pullings and start my own rock. if anyone has leaf pulling available PM me pronto as i know they are just starting to wake up from their winter phase.

Alex

I agree!:-O
btw, when do they start waking up from their winter mode?

Somewhat :offtopic:, but appropriate to almost every topic:
Joseph, If you are going to be adjusting nomenclature then shouldn't the Genus and species names be changed to be italics too?
Italics would be better than not, but it is also most appropriate to also include the original author's name after each species name, but the author detail is usually (but not always) reserved for writings of an official scientific nature. Here on the terraforums, as long as spelling, abbreviation, punctuation, and capitalization are correct, we can be fairly certain that, if the correct plant is associated with its correct name, then our purpose is served. If posters also choose to use italics and even the annotation of authors, that is also acceptable, though not essential.

A secondary effect I hope for, is that posters learn about nomenclature as it concerns plants.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Importance of nutrition:
With most environmental factors at or close to optimal levels, I often see that supplemental nutrition (in a semi-natural form, such as dried insect powder), or even a weak soluble fertilizer solution can be essential for maintaining the plants in a vigorous and healthy state. If they are in a situation where they are able to obtain lots of natural prey insects, for themselves, that may be sufficient, but if conditions are otherwise, then supplemental nutrition can definitely be helpful or possibly even essential for the plants to remain in a vigorous and healthy state.

Be careful, it is also very easy to overfeed and cause harm or even death. A little, applied more often, is usually better than a larger amount in a single dose.

I was so inspired, while in town yesterday I stopped at my local Lowe's store and purchased a 25 lb bag of DAP Plaster of Paris, the smallest size they had in stock. Today I looked online at the MSDS, to discover that the product is composed of 55.0-65.0 % Calcium Carbonate, and 35.0-45.0 % Calcium Sulfate, hemihydrate.

My plan is to mix various amounts of this DAP product, with perlite, peat moss, sphagnum, silica sand, and vermiculite (possibly other media ingredients), even a small amount of iron oxide. Then to moisten it, let it set, and test its ability to act as a lightweight substitute for natural Pinguicula substrates. I envision filling small pots with this media, forming small planting holes in the mix, as it sets. I am a little apprehensive that the Calcium Carbonate component of the DAP Plaster of Paris may have an adverse affect on the plants.

I was so inspired, while in town yesterday I stopped at my local Lowe's store and purchased a 25 lb bag of DAP Plaster of Paris, the smallest size they had in stock. Today I looked online at the MSDS, to discover that the product is composed of 55.0-65.0 % Calcium Carbonate, and 35.0-45.0 % Calcium Sulfate, hemihydrate.

My plan is to mix various amounts of this DAP product, with perlite, peat moss, sphagnum, silica sand, and vermiculite (possibly other media ingredients), even a small amount of iron oxide. Then to moisten it, let it set, and test its ability to act as a lightweight substitute for natural Pinguicula substrates. I envision filling small pots with this media, forming small planting holes in the mix, as it sets. I am a little apprehensive that the Calcium Carbonate component of the DAP Plaster of Paris may have an adverse affect on the plants.

that sounds sooo awesome! I used up more than 70% of my plaster, just playing with them. I also ran out of my peat moss(10 quarts), so I would need to buy one more baggie of it to make more rocks. I am planning on making large rock that can sit outside balcony during summer (this would be for P. gypsicola, and P. medusina only) that can also look almost like a sculture :). So far, I've made enough medium to small 'rocks' for my future P. moctezumae babies, and also P. medusina, and P. gypsicola. (from leaf pullings). Would you post up photos of your rocks with lots of plants on them once you are done??
I am happy to report that my P. moctezumae and P. medusina, so far, looks very very happy:-O I will post the progress next week

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

also, about plaster mainly being composed of Calcium carbonate, I will have to check my pH on my rocks this weekend, but since there are peat moss mixed in along with long fiber moss, I wonder if it will help offset some of it? A lot of Dart frog peeps use concrete to make their rock walls for vivarium, and they typically cure their rock walls(very Basic) in vinegar to leech out lime, and this leaves the rock's pH more neutral. But considering others have successfully kept their P. gypsicola for many years in plaster rock, I am guessing it won't harm the plants *shrugs*
my P. moctezumae and P. gypsicola look pretty happy!!(oh, i said that already)

Last edited by a moderator:
suite

in fact the 'platre de paris' is a gypsum with varied adjuvant and timer ( chemical product ), and it is here the problem.

in france we use the gypsum the naturel product but not the finished product .

for all the gypsicole plants ( P.gypsicola-P.medusina-P.nivalis-P.immaculata - etc) I use just crushed gypsum + river sand 50/50

jeffnclature

Last edited by a moderator:
Back