What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Obligatory "Hey, my Pinguicula are flowering!" Thread

TheFury

Oh, the humanity!!
Hey everyone!

Thought I'd share a pic of my P. primuliflora blooming with my P. moctezumae just starting to throw up a flower bud. I'm thrilled about the P. moctezumae - it very nearly died a month or two ago!!

I'll post up as more flowers come in.

1ae846af.jpg

Since one pic is never enough - this isn't related to Pings but it is related to flowers! My D. capensis "broad leaf" is starting to make a stalk:

175c17e0.jpg

Oooo, love those flowers! Can we also share our pings with blooms? my P. ionantha/P. primuliflora/P. lutea are flowering, but not P. moctezumae- still a baby.. you are lucky!

Last edited by a moderator:
Please do share! Don't let me hog all the cyberspace. If you got pings and your pings got flowers, post up!!

keke ok Its like midnight- and I am making New England Clam chowder! lol and just finished taking pictures of my pings. lol

my P. primuliflora (one on left is new, one on right has been pollinated, trying to seed it)
5427395878_52fded3269_b.jpg

another P. primuliflora (this one has been promised to one of the member in a trade)
5426789889_9dc5059a72_b.jpg

P. ionantha(relatively small flower. Its dainty, and pretty :) It initially arrived all banged up, and more than 50% leaves had to be pulled, but it recovered nicely.
5427395996_2b3254bf9c_b.jpg

P. lutea. It's got the biggest flower! and really really yellow.. I really like this one
I also have a baby plant that I took it off the mother plant. This one also has been pollinated, and trying to seed it
5426789913_5c0007db8f_b.jpg

The Fury,
Don't forget to keep feeding your Pinguicula moctezumae, if it runs out of nutrients it can quickly decline. A little insect powder, once or twice per week will keep them growing and blooming, strong.

suite

very nice ping .

I am looking for P. ionantha seeds or plants .

you've bought this plant in a nursery or by swap ?

jeff

@Candice - wow, nice ping bowl. I love the P. lutea flower! I see you also have a bunch of leaf pullings strewn about ready to grow. You'll have a nice carpet of pings before long! What media is that, btw? Is the LFS just a top dressing or are you growing all your pings in pure LFS?

@Joseph - Thanks for the reminder. I did feed it two weekends ago. I use 50/50 pulverized bloodworms and betta pellets "soupified" with some RO water. I apply it with an eye dropper. Does the same apply to the P. primuliflora or do they have different feeding needs? I'll feed them again tonight!

Some seem to need it more than others, but most definitely appear to benefit from it, in my experience. However, if they're getting copious amounts of natural prey, then they're usually good to go.

@Candice - wow, nice ping bowl. I love the P. lutea flower! I see you also have a bunch of leaf pullings strewn about ready to grow. You'll have a nice carpet of pings before long! What media is that, btw? Is the LFS just a top dressing or are you growing all your pings in pure LFS?
Hi Fury- I do have the peat moss mix with some sand/perlite underneath the LFS for my warm-temperate pings. My P. planifolia seems to be still in shock, but is showing some growth but I think I might tweak around with more muddy soil when I get home later today. I do have a spare P. lutea (about 1.5") as a spare. If you want to try growing P. lutea, I can send it over once weather gets warmer.
Only warm-temperate ping that isn't doing well is P. planifolia, and doing some reading now to see how I will go about it. Are all your plants under grow light?

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 PM ----------

I also feed my warm-temperate pings with dried blood worms (powered, and sprinkled over the leaves)- I got this information on one of Joseph's website on his Mexican Pinguicula page, and his plant seem huge!
So far, plants that were fed seem to have flowered, and their growth has been great.
I do see some bugs caught on, but not so many considering how many other plants (sundews, etc) are competing for the same source indoors.

@Joseph - yeah, I'll go ahead and feed them shortly. They certainly isn't much prey for these guys inside a small Brooklyn apartment, unless without my knowledge they started making rats small enough to become entrapped on the mucilage :) But, I just checked this morning and it looks like the P. moctezumae did actually manage to catch a stray fruit fly. Nice.

As of today:

100_9047.jpg
P. gypsicola x kohres

100_9075.jpg
P. gigantea x moctezumae

100_9022.jpg
P. gracilis x moctezumae

Great flowers, Jim! I love the color. I noticed that the color of my P. primuliflora flowers is a lot more pale than others I've seen. Is it nature or nurture that's causing that?

Also, Candice - You mentioned you had a spare P. lutea that you could spare once the weather warms up. Do keep me in mind! If you have plants to spare, then I have space to spare :-)). Take a look through my grow list and PM me if you'd like to trade for anything, and thanks!

P. primuliflora flowers are light iris colored. Sometimes they start out white and then darken a bit.

P. 'Aphrodite'
_IGP9221.jpg

My P. moctecuzmae flower just opened up and I think I see another one coming in already!

d842fdfb.jpg

Two more:

100_9184.jpg

100_9192.jpg

Two more very soon....

Tu chet, Mr. Scott! Nice flowers. I'm counting the days until my P. esseriana and P. 'Sethos' throw their first flowers. Pics will follow immediately after they do.

My P. moctecuzmae flower just opened up and I think I see another one coming in already!

d842fdfb.jpg

woooooow that flower is really vibrant! My P. moctezume is still small, and it will be awhile before they can flower. lol

Tu chet, Mr. Scott! Nice flowers. I'm counting the days until my P. esseriana and P. 'Sethos' throw their first flowers. Pics will follow immediately after they do.

And here's the P. primulifora you sent:

100_9286.jpg

Look at what "Pretty Rosete" is doing:

100_9273.jpg

Still struggling with the P. lutea & P. planifolia, though.

100_9306.jpg

P. gigantea x moctezumae

Back