What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help! Accidentally Fertilized Pings

Help! I accidentally fertilized some Pings by getting my water jugs mixed up. The only thing I can think of is taking the Pings out, rinsing the roots and repotting in fresh potting mix with no nutrients. Do I have any other options?

You could also just rinse the pots thoroughly with purified water. Let the water drain and don't leave them in standing water, and do this for the next several waterings.
~Joe

They are in a ceramic container that has no drainage holes.

Fill with purified water, drain, repeat. Repeat again, and again, until you feel you have reduced the excess fertilizer.

Im not sure ceramic is the best idea. I know some ceramic leaks minerals which can kill cp's.. Not sure bout pings specifically, but it kileld my baby nep once.

Ceramic itself does not leach minerals, Dooms. The problem is with ceramic pots that have been used to grow conventional plants; if the ceramic is porous and unglazed, it can absorb minerals from the conventional potting mix, and these are what leach back out and harm CPs. It's not the pot's fault - it's what was grown in it before that matters. A brand new ceramic pot is totally fine. You can also treat used pots with white vinegar to dissolve any salts they've absorbed.
~Joe

Ceramic itself does not leach minerals, Dooms. The problem is with ceramic pots that have been used to grow conventional plants; if the ceramic is porous and unglazed, it can absorb minerals from the conventional potting mix, and these are what leach back out and harm CPs. It's not the pot's fault - it's what was grown in it before that matters. A brand new ceramic pot is totally fine. You can also treat used pots with white vinegar to dissolve any salts they've absorbed.
~Joe

Ahh. That is so cool! I will keep that in mind whenever I think of using pre-used ceramic pots. But I really only use ceramic for Dewy Pines.

I think most of the time it's worth it to just go buy a new pot, so you know there's nothing in it. It's not too hard to get the salts out of a used pot, but terra cotta is super cheap so long as you're going to the right place. Might as well just spare yourself the guesswork.
~Joe

The pings are looking pretty good after being rinsed multiple times. Thanks everyone.

A good number of my Pings are in baking dishes or other glazed containers made for culinary use, so no concern here about leaching here.

Back