What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula moranensis

I am getting a Pinguicula moranensis and I am wondering about the growing conditions. I
have 3 questions.

1Can it take hot temperatures up to 100 f
2can it grow in sphagnum moss without other materials
3can I use summer carnivorous leaves for propagation?
4what is the best way of growing it.

I have done research, but I have not found too much info. Please reply quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am getting a Pinguicula moranensis and I am wondering about the growing conditions. I
have 3 questions.
First off, you actually have Four questions.

I do not and have not grown this plant. However I am the first to respond, and I have some vestigial knowledge of Pinguicula.

1Can it take hot temperatures up to 100 f
2can it grow in sphagnum moss without other materials
3can I use summer carnivorous leaves for propogation?
4what is the best way of growing it.
1.) It may be possible that a hardy established plant could take those temperatures for short amounts of time, but I think that I would not recommend the plant stay at that temperature for very long.

2.) Again I have not grown this plant, however, I have seen very few people grow their Mexican Pinguicula in just sphagnum moss. The normal substrate I have witnessed or heard of would be some blend of perlite, sand, and peat, with it being heavier on the sand and perlite side than on the peat side.

3.) Yes, it is possible to use the mature trapping leaves for foliar propagation.

4.) Probably any advice you will get from the various successful and plentiful growers of Pinguicula on this forum. Patience!

Last edited by a moderator:
There are many sources of excellent information about growing Mexican Pinguicula. Several are pinned to the top of the Pinguicula forum section. One link is in my signature line. There were several at the link jimscott provided, above. Various growers describe their methods, which demonstrate these plants can grow and prosper in many slightly different growing conditions and in various media mixtures, watering and lighting methods. Personally I would avoid using sphagnum as media, but I have seen growers use it with good success.

There were several at the link jimscott provided, above. Various growers describe their methods, which demonstrate these plants can grow and prosper

You wouldn't know it but I intended yours in particular. It just generalized the search to several links. I've tried a variety of media, to include a mix of egg shells, crushed coral, sand, and perlite. I've simplified it to just APS (Aquatic Plant Soil).

1. I grow them outdoors here in temps as high as the mid to high 90s in the summer & temp in to the low 40s in the winter with out any problems

2. Never tried growing any in Straight Sphagnum / I grow them in a peat sand mix with a little calcium added if I have some on hand

3. Yes... They're pretty easy to propagate from leaf pulls

4. That all depends on who you ask

Back