What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Pinguicula laueana is waking up!

JMatt

Stovepipe (The Beast) RIP My friend.
Thought I would put these shots on here.
It hasn't flowered in a while and has a pretty good one at the moment.
Thanks.
JMatt

dsc05268v.jpg

dsc05269.jpg

dsc05282u.jpg

Oh that's beautiful!

Ooooh pretty flower! Have you been feeding it a lot?

Incredible! :awesome:

Wow, great color!

Gorgeous! :hail:

Duuuuude sweeet ! What are your conditions for breaking dormancy ?

@droseraguy: mine are naturally waking up as well...warmer temps as well as more frequent waterings could do it.

Mine is waking up as well, but so far no sign of a flower.

My Pinguicula laueana have never gone to sleep (dormant). They just keep growing and growing. For several years I was taking leaf-pullings and propagating them, despite their reluctance to produce flowers. Pinguicula laueana is still, for me, the species most reluctant to bloom. Though, thanks to BobZ I did discover that it is easier to get them to begin blooming if they are subjected to very chilly nighttime Winter temperatures.

When I look at JMatt's photos of his Pinguicula laueana in bloom, I see a multiple-crown plant, with some older, Summer leaves and many smaller, Winter leaves, with the flower emerging from the growing rosette of Winter leaves. Dormant? Dormant plants aren't usually known for producing leaves and flowers.

JMatt's plant appears to be an excellent clone, with large, well-formed flowers of a dark orange-red shade with a tiny, faint spot of a lighter, yellow shade, on the proximal part of the central lower corolla lobe, near and just below the stigma.

Last edited:
Understood.... poor / inaccurate choice of words. My mature plant is beginning to produce carnivorous / summer leaves, as a opposed to succulent / winter. Just how cold should it be? What range? The window sill that it was on was ~60 F.

Once I had heard how BobZ managed to bloom that plant, which I was growing and propagating, yet it was still unidentified (I only knew it was a Mexican Pinguicula) and it turned out to be Pinguicula laueana, I quickly began (during Winter), to run my evaporative cooler in my plant room at night. The temperatures dropped into the 40sF and in just a few weeks I began seeing more flowers on almost every Pinguicula plant in that room than I had ever seen before. Not only did my other specimens of the Pinguicula laueana clone that had been so reluctant a bloomer, begin to bloom for me too, but almost every Mexican Pinguicula species and hybrid began blooming like they'd never bloomed before. Of course I had to start my fluorescent lights before the cooler came on, or the cold would keep them from starting - fluorescent lights don't work if they're too cold. I also made sure not to neglect providing plenty of water and feeding so they would not run out of steam, so to speak.

Next winter I will be provide conditions to get them into the 40's. I gotta do something!

Back