What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help for new Pinguicula

Hi Everyone
I have a problem that I'm hoping you can help me with. I bought a Pinguicula 'Pirouette', my second, and I'm afraid of loosing this one like the first. The first plant I'll attribute the loss of the mail key and that we had lots of snow. Found the key but lost the plant. I also ordered a Pinguicula 'Sethos' and that one is barely hanging on. I ordered another Pinguicula 'Pirouette' with no problems but the leaves are beginning to curl. It's in 1-1-1- peat moss, perlite and vermiculite and under several CFLs.
The plant looks like it's going to literally fall apart as did the first one (I have pics of my set up). The plant came in a plastic baggie so I'm not sure if it needed to be acclimated or just how I'd do it. No instructions.
I have 6 large picture windows facing south across the front of the house. We live at the 4000 ft. elev. also known as the "back door" to Lake Tahoe.
We have snow so the house is cool ( we have a wood stove) but I have a
warming lite above the plants. We also use a swamp cooler during the summer. So I hope you'll be able to see my setup clearly enough and give me some suggestions......help?Hi Scott
I have a problem that I'm hoping you can help me with. I bought a Pinguicula 'Pirouette' from Cascade Carnivores and I'm afraid of loosing this one as well. The frist I'll attribute to our loss of the mail key and we had lots of snow. Found the key but lost the plant. I also ordered a Pinguicula 'Sethos' and that one is barely hanging on. I ordered another Pirouette with no problems but the leaves are beginning to curl. It's in 1-1-1- peat moss, perlite and vermiculite and under several CFLs.
The plant looks like it's going to literally fall apart as did the first one (I have pics of my set up). The plant came in a plastic baggie so I'm not sure if it needed to be acclimated or just how I'd do it. No instructions at all.
I have 6 large picture windows facing south across the front of the house. We live at the 4000 ft. elev. also known as the "back door" to Lake Tahoe.
We have snow so the house is cool ( we have a wood stove) but I have a
warming lite above the plants. We also use a swamp cooler during the summer. So I hope you'll be able to see my setup clearly enough and give me some suggestions......help?

100_1442.jpg

My setup
100_1443.jpg

My poor little Pinguicula 'Pirouette'
100_1444.jpg

My little Pinguicula 'Sethos'
100_1445.jpg

more setup
100_1449.jpg

100_1450.jpg

Again, help?

Any idea if the plants they send are dormant? Wasn't sure if the plants needed to be acclimated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Generally speaking, Mexican Pinguicula do well in media that drains well, with decent lighting, kept in slightly drier conditions than most CP's. The media mix could include any combination of the following: APS, perlight, course sand, eggshells, crushed coral. Artificial and or window sill lighting is adequate. temps can range from 40-90 F.

Last edited by a moderator:
suite

use a substrat more alcalin and mineral

just cat litier + river sand is OK , but you can also add pouzzolane,perlite,vermiculite , 'akadama' (bonzaï clay)

actually here in europe they are in dormancy to 10-15°c
in mexico between 10 and 21°c ( 21°c near the cost pacific and atlantic)

in front of a south window is OK , but the substrat must be dry or ligthly wet to avoid the dehydration .

here in europe all my mexican are outdoor from mid may

jeff

Try a mix of equal parts peat moss, pumice, and vermiculite. I stress the vermiculite because it adds a little alkalinity to the soil, which pings often appreciate. Also, you should try growing them in an african violet pot, as this will keep the soil moist, but not too damp, providing an ideal environment for the plant. Remember, pings are prone to root rot, so overwatering is something you definitely want to avoid.

Edit: I just realized that you're already growing the plant in this medium. So keep it up, only put them in the african violet pots.

Back