What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula media tryouts

So the hydroponics shop I work with (see Nepenthes Showcase thread) gave me a free sample bag of Hydrolite (http://www.botanicare.net/grow-substrates/hydrolite) to try out. This is the test run picture thread of my experience with it. Along with a few extra pics of some of my other favorite pinguicula species.

1007805c.jpg

By massmorels at 2011-04-12

1007804q.jpg

copyof1007800.jpg

1007801.jpg

1007803.jpg

1007802.jpg

1007807.jpg

1007798.jpg

1007806.jpg

Gonna sneak a pic of Mallory in here, because she's just too cute.

1007808.jpg

Last edited:
Those are very beautiful plants :) And the cat IS really cute.

Let me add one more :)

Harvey:

20110404003.jpg

Last edited:
Can't see the pictures:

We are doing a little work right now.
Your image will be back soon.
Photobucket

Can't see the pictures:

Poopy photobucket has been down for 24 hours.. They should be viewable once the maintenance is done. But at least we have Harvey to keep us company in the meantime.

The label (difficult to read) says it has nitrogen, phosphate, potash and calcium in soluble form. Probably not enough to make Pinguicula unhappy, the calcium might even help with some species/hybrids. You never know though. Keep us posted. Do you have control groups using typical Pinguicula substrate?

Looks a bit like the Calcium Silicate cat litter I used to use for my cats, though hydolite is not the same material. I often wondered if Mexican pings would grow in Calcium Silicate, though never wondered enough to try it, especially as they seem to be very happy in general multi-purpose potting compost :)

^ Mobile, I tried that after reading you say the same thing a while back! My P. 'Wesser' keeps on making baby plants on its own, without taking pullings LOL! :-O It works very well!

^ Mobile, I tried that after reading you say the same thing a while back! My P. 'Wesser' keeps on making baby plants on its own, without taking pullings LOL! :-O It works very well!
I forgot that I had mentioned that before. I guess that it might have been in the same post as I mentioned diatomaceous earth cat litter as a growing medium.

suite

I use since many years cat liter without problem but not only I add always river sand for a better capillarity .

I add also pouzzolane for the substrate aeration , vermiculite for a substrate more heterogen , calcareous sand to reinforce the alcalin notion , and now 'akadama' (bonzaï clay) for the clayed notion.

good try with this hydrolite

your ping are under some neon, they are very red

jeff

Experiment outcome thus far:

Total failure

As of tonight I moved all the pings on the new mix back to their old media. Each plant was on the brink of death. Hope they make a rebound.

suite

for me your granulimetry was too big for a good capillarity , mix this hydrolite with river sand , you will have better result.

jeff

Back