What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Separating Ping Plantlets

Lately I've been working on propagating pings and have come upon an issue.

My P. 'Tina' has produced many plantlets on a single leaf. I'm sure other people have had this happen and was wondering what's the best way to separate them into single plants.

PTina.jpg

Wait until each gets to be the size of a quarter, then do it. Otherwise they'll crumble to pieces. It'll take some time, but it's well worth the wait.

Sorry, I don't have any advice, but I'm curious how you went about it. I've tried Joseph's method of just placing pullings in a container with a paper towel with very limited success (I have one leaf that's growing a plantlet, but it's growing ridiculously slow). What's that media mix? Did you cover it for humidity? Temps?

Thank ya!

Thanks mass, its gonna be a real mess of leaves but at least each plant will hold together better.

_ReApEr:

I used the ICPS website's advice. Equal parts pearlite/vermiculite/sand (I think?) in a pot with a bit of water in the tray. Lay each leaf on the surface and cover with saran wrap under fluorescent lights. Ambient temp was ~76 day and 65 night.

At least 1-2 plantlets per leaf for me. May be different depending on species and conditions.

I use straight peat, made into a funnel shape. Warm and humid.. lay the leaves with the cut end down into the funnel. I've had zero success until trying this method. And 85% success afterwards.

They're not delicate. Just gently coax them apart with your fingers or forceps. I use APS for Mexican pings.

Thanks, Andyscoolsn and mass.

I use 2 pointed toothpicks to separate them. You should be able to identify individual rosettes and find the edges.

Back