What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I save this Ping - rough shipping?

Just got my new P. Santos in the mail today.

It was bareroot in a gallon size zip lock bag with some mix and moss around the roots.
The leaves are now curled and it had a number of broken leaves.

How can I save this Ping? I have it potted up and under a humidity dome right now.

Suggestions?

ping-3.jpg

ping-4.jpg

ping-5.jpg

Thanks,
Steverd

I think you mean P. 'Sethos'. Pings are pretty tough, just pot it up like you normally would and it should be fine. The old broken leaves might die off but new growth should be fine.

I would also probably pull some of the broken leaves off and place them on the substrate. Should have no problems getting plantlets from them as long as you get some of the white part too.

Ouch that is pretty rough. I second drew's motion to take this opportunity to grab a couple leaves for plantlettes. Good luck!

I think you mean P. 'Sethos'. Pings are pretty tough, just pot it up like you normally would and it should be fine. The old broken leaves might die off but new growth should be fine.

I would also probably pull some of the broken leaves off and place them on the substrate. Should have no problems getting plantlets from them as long as you get some of the white part too.

Yes, sorry, It's a P. Sethos.
I also did plant the broken leaves!!

Steve

OMG looks like it was delivered in the same way:

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2Q6_9A90cUk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

suite

for me it would be better to leave this plant outside with a suitable wet substrate, in shade, ( in these condition ,less risk of rot )

what countries and regions , you live ?

jeff

for me it would be better to leave this plant outside with a suitable wet substrate, in shade, ( in these condition ,less risk of rot )

what countries and regions , you live ?

jeff

I live in Spokane, WA USA
Temps right now are in the 80's outside with low humidity.

Steverd

I think it'll be ok. I've gotten a ton of pings from people here recently, and even with my rough, unskilled manhandling, breaking off leaves left and right while trying to pot them, they all survived. The existing leaves that are pretty bad off might die, so you can prolly pull those and stick em in the soil to grow plantlets(I got like 14 P. ehlersiae growing that way lol)... And i'd def. put a plastic cup with holes punched in it over the plant to help keep it hydrated while it heals and grows new leaves.

Edit: sorry missed that you already said you had a dome over it.. doh. lol

27°c is OK for the ping outdoor if they are in shade with always a wet substrate .

jeff

pings are VERY tough if you take care of it for the next few weeks it should recover... also take some leaf pullings.

OKay..little dissagreement here. I have found that pings which arrive that wet and rotted looking don't need the extra humidity but instead a chance to dry out some. I pot them up normally and keep them in a tank for a few weeks but not with the extra humidity of a bag

It look like it got hit by a train D;

Back