What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cyclosecta problems. Dieing or Dormancy?

suite

Bonjour

for me the first thing to do is to change the substrate by a mineral substrate .

and especially to rid infected substrates , the sciarid cycle : larvae, adult insects , egg and the cycle continues , it is necessary to interrupt this one.

actually the mexican are normaly in dormancy then just a dry substrat with a good hygrometry air .

jeff

Brie,

I recently fell victim to the scourge that are gnats. They came from one of the drosera pots and even though my pings are planted in all mineral media gnats would get on them. I saw a few get in between the leaves near the center, in ant out several times (laying eggs) . I got scared and decided to try using chemicals even though everyone (me including) advised against it.

The treatment of my choice was Bayer Rose & Flower spray with two active ingridients: Imidacloprid and Cyfluthrin, which was first used on one of several P. wesser in collection and small P. pirouette. After several days plants showed no signs of decline or any other adverse effects, and I sprayed the rest of them (soil mostly, a bit got on the foliage). In addition I spayed all the plants nearby which included: neps, drosera and terrestrial utrics. A week later I see no gnats and all the plants are fine.

So if you do still have gnat issues, try imidacloprid based spay.

Just figured i'd update... After repotting my entire ping collection to an all mineral media, everything improved quite a bit. No more gnats. And i'm happy to say the cyclosecta is good as new. Sadly I lost the wee baby one I grew from a leaf pulling, but at least I still have the main plant.

Photo from today.
6462112183_761058b5db_o.jpg

Looks good Brie, glad to hear they responded well to the media!

Looks good Brie, glad to hear they responded well to the media!

What Andrew said!

---------- Post added at 07:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

Here's another way to grow them:

017-1.jpg

Nice! Looks like it's enjoying the new media.

I seem to have trouble keeping my pings healthy. I should try a more mineral media as well, I suppose.

suite

:beer: good sucess BRIE

jeff

i experience mold on the substrate and even on the moss of my pings, but other than that no trouble.
i use peat and perlite

The surest way to see if the plant is healthy would be to unpot a ping and check its roots.

Gill_za is correct. Also thought I would add that Mexican Ping's have a very high tolerance of uprooting and dont seem to realize they have been disturbed, in my experience.

Good UV radiation can effectively prevent nematode breeding.

Back