What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just recently upsized my grow area so decided to take a bunch of pullings. I should mention in reality it is much brighter than the photos show.

Left to right: moranensis 'Caudata', moranensis 'A', "John Rizzi", potosiensis, moranensis 'alba', Sumidero 2, gigantea, jaumavensis and gracilis.
06ee82d4.jpg

And some closer up photos:
22dbb4f2.jpg

1c2f4591.jpg

1fd4da1b.jpg

4cbb88b1.jpg

And placed in their "resting spots":
b36a551c.jpg

6af7e3c4.jpg

I love this!

Keep the pictures coming with their progress please. I love pings but I can never get them to live too long. I suppose I should get a grow light if I get another ping.

Niiiiice... we should do a trade someday...

it looks so neat and organized. kudos! Do you actually need the plastic bags, though? I've seen Joseph Clemens plop em on some paper towel right out in the open and just wait.

I love this!

Keep the pictures coming with their progress please. I love pings but I can never get them to live too long. I suppose I should get a grow light if I get another ping.

Thanks! Ill post photos in a few weeks when there is noticeable growth! Chances are you were keeping them too wet.

Niiiiice... we should do a trade someday...

I agree Jim! When spring comes around we will have to talk.

EDIT: Just looked at your growlist and there is definitely some pings I am interested in!!

it looks so neat and organized. kudos! Do you actually need the plastic bags, though? I've seen Joseph Clemens plop em on some paper towel right out in the open and just wait.

Thanks, I try to keep it organized, but doesnt stay like that for long. Ive tried just placing pullings in plastic cups and/or paper towel with little success. When bagged I get very good results generally.

Andrew

Last edited:
Thought I would update the progress so far with pullings being 3 weeks in. All species have had at least some strikes so far except gracilis, but I think I can see some coming. Some species were 100% success and some were lower with about 20%. Tweezers are in the photo for a size reference.

jaumavensis (5 with strikes)
f909c2a6.jpg

Sumidero 2 (10 with strikes, quite small but they're there)
1ebac16e.jpg

gigantea (3 with strikes, again small but there)
11f6094e.jpg

moranensis 'alba'(10+ with strikes)
fe0e95d6.jpg

moranensis 'A'(2 with strikes)
c74eb481.jpg

moranensis 'Caudata' (2 with strikes)
0ee11541.jpg

John Rizzi (2 with strikes, taken from a plant that hadnt grown an inch in 4 months, not sure why it wasnt growing because another John Rizzi directly beside it is thriving, in this case i pulled every leaf off which was about 6 leaves)
f4cb93e5.jpg

potosiensis (1 with strikes)
4a9c233a.jpg

Then for fun here are some Sumidero 1 seeds sprouting that I got from a plant of mine. So far 7 out of about 50 have sprouted with what looks like a few more coming. These were sown about 4 weeks ago.

04704731.jpg

dd3c24ba.jpg

This was sown directly in RO water and sprouted about 3 weeks in. 10 were put in water with only one so far, I transfered it to paper towel the day I saw it sprout.
20cb57bc.jpg

Wow good job!

31drew31,

I hope you won't mind me adding to your thread. Below are the pics of recently made pullings. The soil is: milled LFS/Sand/APS

20111201_022s.jpg

P. gracilis x moctezumae the quickest :)
20111201_020s.jpg

20111201_018s.jpg

P. 1717
20111201_019s.jpg

P. 'aphrodite'
20111201_017s.jpg

P. pirouette
20111201_015s.jpg

P. agnata 'red leaf'
20111201_014s.jpg

20111201_012s.jpg

Dont mind at all gill_za, they look great.

I had a little time tonight after the hockey game, so got the pullings potted up. My main camera was a dead battery so I just took photos with my phone, which means they are low quality but oh well.

P. potosiensis
dd33f8f7.jpg

P. moranensis "Caudata"
4ba2502b.jpg

P. moranensis "A"
7f3b6068.jpg

P. gigantea
2406f652.jpg

P. moranensis "alba"
1ad11854.jpg

P. jaumavensis
39931cee.jpg

P. Sumidero II
d1687b06.jpg

Also took a few other photos today of pings that were looking good.

P. cyclosecta
0556e26d.jpg

P. laueana
cc37b765.jpg

P. Pachuca
6b7a12bf.jpg

I believe this is P. moranensis "Caudata" but would have to check the tag.
4c07d09c.jpg

P. gigantea
9dd0cd98.jpg

P. 'Weser'
10216d2c.jpg

P. 'John Rizzi'
bf392e3e.jpg

P. jaumavensis
f66c0e8b.jpg

Also thought Id add some photos of my growtent as it sits now. Hoping soon I can add a second table in and another five 4' T5's so I can separate mine pings from the other plants and level out the lights.

9b5662dd.jpg

0f392d31.jpg

And the fan/duct system that runs outside. It is hooked up to a thermostat with night drop feature. Set 75F day, 52F night. Humidity is also set to 80% but stays between 70 and 80%. Tent is 6.5' long, wide and tall.

75420703.jpg

Last edited:
You seriously have some of the best pings i've ever seen. :clap:

Dont mind at all gill_za, they look great.

P. moranensis "alba"
1ad11854.jpg
Very interesting, what is going on here. Can you comment on this?

P. Paucha
6b7a12bf.jpg

I believe this is P. moranensis "Caudata" but would have to check the tag.
4c07d09c.jpg
beautiful plants!! my goodness.

I think he may have to be my new best friend!

Thanks Brie and Jim!

Newspaperfort, they are leaves which have been pulled off from the main plant. After a few weeks they will create plantlets from the very tip where the leaf connected to the main plant. In the most recent photos they are at 6 and a half weeks. The ones that are browning were carnivorous leaves, the ones that are still green were succulent leaves. Both generally work good but the carnivorous leaves have a high success rate in my experience.

love that P. jaumavensis drew where did you ever find one

Thanks Mickey, I got it from a member of our local CP forum. Probably one of my favorite Pinguicula.

Awesome Pinguicula!

So cool! I'm gunna have to give Ping pullings a try soon.

Back