What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. moctezuma & Friends

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
001-27.jpg

002-6.jpg

003-14.jpg

004-15.jpg

005-13.jpg

Oh wow! Awesome pings! I regret giving mine away a little now :lol:

Do I see two giganteas in the tray with the Aztec king?

what kind of ping is the flowering one and where can U get a start,plantlet or leaf cutting

what kind of ping is the flowering one and where can U get a start,plantlet or leaf cutting

That's P. moctezumae (the thread title!!!) and it's available in online nurseries.

Leaf cuttings:

017-1.jpg

I love mine, probably because it's the only Ping I have mature enough to flower for me. Nice ping collection!

OMG!
The P. moctezumae can grow that big!?
Bought mine about 2 months ago... barely an inch across...

Looking good Jim!!

very nice. Gotta love successful propagation.

LOL! You're light is on!

Um.... I would grow them indoors. Mine grows nicely at a south-facing window sill (Northern Hemisphere), with temps ranging from ~15-25 C. Can you obtain seeds?. If not, they start well enough as leaf cuttings.

"Climate

Most pings appreciate some sunlight, though full sun may burn the leaves. Depending on where the ping originates from, it may need a cool dormancy, no dormancy, or a dry one.

In general, temperate pings need a cool dormancy. During the fall they form a structure of tightly closed leaves, called a hibernaculum which sustains the plant through cold temperature.

Mexican pings respond to the dry winter weather by producing succulent growth and losing all of their carnivorous leaves. During this time the soil should be kept bone dry to barely damp for most species. Spring growth begins after flowering."

I just worry about temperature. It reaches 37-38C (day) and 30C (night) here in summer. It's good for nepenthes (so nepenthes is common here). But I love small things like ping and bladderworts. I think I will buy some seeds from czplant. P. moctezumae and U. sandersonii and etc... So I want to be sure I'm not going to waste money just to kill them in summer.

I have been worrying about spring since January starter... Can get up to 40°C with a LOT of humidity which makes things worse... It hurts to breathe...

I have been worrying about spring since January starter... Can get up to 40°C with a LOT of humidity which makes things worse... It hurts to breathe...

Aren't Mexican pings in the higher elevations?

---------- Post added at 09:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 AM ----------

Great.I like P. moctezumae soooooooooo much.
BTW, I live in Hanoi. Climate can be seen here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanoi#Climate
So, can I grow P. moctezumae? And how about growing them from seeds?

Viet Nam?

I think Jim is just impressed. Not often we have members from Vietnam. Pretty cool. Welcome!

Back