What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. lilacina flower

I wanted to share some pics of a P. lilacina flower.

This flower and the few that came before it are from plants started from seed back in late October, just two months ago.

IMG_1353-P-lilacinaflower.jpg

The flowers are quite short, only about a 1/4 of an inch long, not including the nectar spur.

IMG_1394-P-lilacina-flower.jpg

These plants seem quite easy to pollinate with a toothpick, and they might be the first success i've had yet, with pollinating pings.

And since these plants flower at a non-stop pace, at least in the beginning here, there is plenty of opportunity to hone up on those ping pollinating skills.

This is the first one that i hopefully pollinated. It is swollen and maybe in a short while i'll be able to tell if there is viable seed there or not.

IMG_1419-P-lilacina-seedpod.jpg

To think that this plant can start from seed and then grow itself out, flower and make seed in about 2 and a half months is amazing to me.

dvg

Pretty! Thanks for sharing and hopefully the pollination was a success!

Gneiss!

I checked the the first seed pod that formed today and it had opened, and i was able to obtain quite a few of the dark black seeds.

I am now attempting to germinate these seeds.

Two other seed capsules have swollen considerably, so i may have more of this seed available, if the seed is viable and my pollination attempt was successful.

These flowers do seem to be quite easy to pollinate with a toothpick.

I should know in a few weeks how viable this seed turned out to be.

dvg

Back