What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My first attempt at growing pings on rock...

Will the roots eventually grow into the pores of the rock and anchor the plants down, or will they just hang out in the loose media?

Will the roots eventually grow into the pores of the rock and anchor the plants down, or will they just hang out in the loose media?

I tried to use as little media as possible to encourage that.. so the roots grow through the bit of media and into the rock...

A little update on the lighting situation... Picked up 3, foot long T5 fixtures designed to go under cabnets and whatnot, and mounted them to the underside of the shelf above the rock... I had seen them at Walmart previously but originally decided not to buy them due to the fact that I figured it'd be damn near impossible to find 12" T5 replacement bulbs for them.. But I was looking through one of our local wholesalers catolog at work yesterday and discovered they carried a Coralife ColorMax T5 in 12" so figured it'd be worth it to give the fixtures a try... Going to order a couple of those bulbs to help balance out the color because its a bit too yellow for my taste.. Not as yellow as these photos make it look, but def more yellow then I prefer...

Anywho, here's a few quick pics...

6704890863_2d7ebaf9b3_b.jpg

6704890973_5aa1ab3792_b.jpg

6704891077_74a9553d4f_b.jpg

Wow. beautiful.
Would love to do that when I have space.
Hope that works out, don't see why it wouldn't, keep us posted.

Wow. beautiful.
Would love to do that when I have space.
Hope that works out, don't see why it wouldn't, keep us posted.

No room in the kitchen anymore?

Update plz.

Can't wait for those pings to mature. That thing is going to be AMAZING!!

I'd say it already looks pretty amazing as is. Nicely done.

I can see the song Beez in the Trap being replaced by Pings on a Rock... :jester:

lol it still looks exactly the same guys.. only new news is that the pings are now rooted into the rock firmly so no longer can be accidentally knocked out of their little crevices... lol

Can you post an update on this? I'm considering doing something similar, and this is a gorgeous example. Where'd you get the rock?

Aannddd it still looks exactly the same. LOL. I wouldnt say the plants are thriving, I'm not doing a very good job keeping the rock wet. A certain Northwestern nursery is now selling rock gardens, and they keep a pump or something going with theirs to keep the rocks consistently wet, like a dripping wall habitat. As for the rock, I work in a saltwater aquarium shop, so getting various rocks is pretty easy for me. I used Tufa, which is a common aquarium rock. But I really think Pumice would work better if you can find a large enough piece. The smaller pores would keep it wetter longer.

Thanks! I would like to make my own, so I'll see if any aquarium or pet stores around here carry chunks of pumice.

You wont find Pumice in an aquarium store. You'll need to look for quarries, landscape places, etc for that.

Oh. Well I have a quarry near me (not sure it's mining volcanic rock though) and two specialty garden centers. Maybe they can help.

is that a pot of Lithops on the shelf above the ping rock? i wanna see some pics of that too! (also advice on how to grow them, i killed the last one i had, and i really want to get another one, but i dont want to get something if im just gonna end up killing it!)

sooooo....

how are all the pings doing?

and what about those other plants? the ones that, as far as i can tell, are lithops (living stones) you never did answer my question about that...

Back