What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well that's the whole trick with growing living things is to provide as close an environment as possible as to what they are adapted to live in. The solutions can be out of reach financially as well as technologically. Sadly in most cases this doesn't keep people from trying.

Sometimes things go wrong, if you try something.
Sometimes things go well and you are pushing the limits.
Sometimes things may go well for some time, but then fail.
Temperate Pinguicula are always good for a positive or a negative surprise.

So I want to show also this picture of a P. macroceras ssp. nortensis, hibernacle and gemmae, picture taken these days:
P_macroceras_dead_with_gemmae.jpg

That looks pretty much different from the first picture I showed in this thread, here it is again for comparison:
Pinguicula_macroceras_gemmae1.jpg

Same species, same mother plant, cultivated in the same location only 2 yards away from each other, same substrate, same climate and same weather, both pictures taken these days. On one picture the flowering size bud is dead with only a few gemmae living, on the other picture the hibernacle is living and strong and with a lot of gemmae. So you might ask: What's the difference? I can tell you: Potted cultivation (dead hibernacle in a free-standing pot) vs. bog cultivation (everything well in a 90 litre / 24 gallon mini-bog dug in ground-even).

I never thought the difference can be so big.
Two growing seasons and two winters everything went fine with potted cultivation.
But not always all good things come in threes.
The third winter it happened to the potted hibernacles that they died, due to extraordinary weather conditions in my location in early February.

I think potted cultivation is a bit tough for these plants. I've tried a few times with little success. I think potted plants don't get the stable conditions that mini-bogs can provide, but it's just my idea.

That's too bad about your plant, but then with so many other ones, losing one isn't too bad, at least that's what I think :p

Anyone have any pings sending up flowers yet? I'm excited to see some!

suite

Bonjour

P.macroceras do not like the negative value of temperature as we had here in europe .

P.alpina make a hibernaculae in winter but no buds ,some others temperate make no hibernacula and no buds like the complex crystallina ,lusitanica and may be villosa.

some others temperate pinguicula keep in winter their root or their rhizom.

for temperate ping you have 3 substrate : acid, calcareous and undifferencitiated , all the grandiflora does not grow in an acid substrate see here link click on habitats

P.vulgaris grow in a undifferencitied substrate acid or calcareous.

for me you have 5 type of pinguicula in the world see here link
use the google modul for the translation

jeff

This is my P. corsica. I have about 4 mature plants, and alst fall they gave me about 30-40 gemmae each!

Nice species and much gemmae. It looks like you will have much more mature plants next year!

I don't have them as I think that P. corsica might not be fully winter hardy in my climate. They are of origin very much south in Europe, so they should withstand higher temperatures in summer and need less frost during winter than I have here in Northern Germany. Might be interesting for people that live in cold areas and have a greenhouse or in areas for outdoor cultivation where winters bring only little freeze.

I think potted cultivation is a bit tough for these plants. I've tried a few times with little success. I think potted plants don't get the stable conditions that mini-bogs can provide, but it's just my idea.

Bog cultivation always showed better result for my cold-temperate Pings, but I never lost so many potted hibernacles as during this winter.

That's too bad about your plant, but then with so many other ones, losing one isn't too bad, at least that's what I think

I lost 14 flowering size hibernacles of P. macroceras. The pot was not a small one.
But on the other side I have more than 50 flowering size in my mini-bog.

Anyone have any pings sending up flowers yet? I'm excited to see some!

In my area P. macroceras or maybe P. alpina is the first flowering species of the year, perhaps end of April, depending on weather conditions. Jeff from France should have his plants much earlier flowering.

P.macroceras do not like the negative value of temperature as we had here in europe.

I think there must be different forms in circulation named P. macroceras ssp. nortensis. Some from northern California and some from Oregon. Mine are of origin in Oregon.

My P. macroceras get -15°C / 5°F each year and some years also -18°C / 0°F. That's normally no problem, even for potted plants. But this year the winter was very mild until suddenly, at the end of January, the temperature dropped from always mild until then to sharp frost without snow cover within just 48 hours. The sharp temperature drop and frost was to much for potted P. macroceras and potted P. grandiflora hibernacles.

Fortunately I have the mini-bogs. Even this extraordinary late winter, which came very late and very quickly as not seen the last 100 years, was fine for the Ping hibernacles in the mini-bogs.

Today I finished harvesting, planting and sowing of gemmae and replanting the hibernacula of my cold-temperate Pinguicula species (and a few hybrids). That takes me longer each year as my amout of plants is growing each year.

I'm looking forward to the flowering season and I should see some flowers of new species and hybrids this year, that have now reached flowering size for the first time. Time will show.

suite

Bonjour

P.corsica is a french species , come from the island Corse , it is a bog specie like sometimes vulgaris , nevadensis .

in this island there are in the mountain(+ or - 2400m) snow during 4 to 7 month see here the WINTER temperature link

in FRANCE but also in ITALIE- SUISSE and SPAIN a lot of temperate ping flowered in the end of april , may before it is exceptional

I've always had problem the winter here with macroceras ( subsp macroceras or subsp nortensis to US , it is the same just different eco type).

I grow a lot of temperate species ( it is my speciality) and here with a lot of night with -8°c and sometimes -15°c no problem for instant , some will wake up already

JEFF

Last edited:
P.corsica is a french species, come from the island Corse, it is a bog specie like sometimes vulgaris , nevadensis.

So best substrate for P. corsica is "pure peat"?

in this island there are in the mountain(+ or - 2400m) snow during 4 to 7 month see here the WINTER temperature link

Thank you for posting that climate table! If I take a closer look to the winter temperatures, this species should also be able to grow in my climate. Perhaps I try if I can obtain a hibernacle or some gemmae.

I've always had problem the winter here with macroceras ( subsp macroceras or subsp nortensis to US , it is the same just different eco type).

Do you keep them in peat or in calcerous mix? I keep my macroceras in a sort of dark peat and they do fine in my winters (except potted hibernacles this winter).

I grow a lot of temperate species ( it is my speciality) and here with a lot of night with -8°c and sometimes -15°c no problem for instant , some will wake up already

I grow just a few species. I started three years ago with them. But I am trying to increase my collection.

Here are more pictures of two species and one hybrid. I obtained them last fall. At least they have survived this winter - potted.

Pinguicula fiorii (my only hibernacle):
Pinguicula_fiorii_hibernacle.jpg

Pinguicula longifolia var. reichenbachiana (my only hibernacle):
Pinguicula_longifolia_var_reichenbachiana_hibernacle.jpg

Pinguicula hybrid P. grandiflora rosea x vallisneriifolia (I have a few of them):
Pinguicula_grandiflora_rosea_x_vallisneriifolia_hibernacle.jpg

suite

Bonjour

for corsica yes 'in situ' it is a pure peat , in my cultivate for this specie also

if you want some hibernaculae or buds for the corsica var pallidula ( the white species) in this autumn I can send some one.

I use for macroceras( var macroceras or var nortensis ) blond peat , may be it is the problem.

fiorii is very difficult good substrate ; longifolia subsp reichenbachiana is a calcareous species not a acid ( see the picture on my web site)

grandiflora subsp rosea is not a acid specie like vallisneriifolia , the first is rather a calcareous clay specie , vallisneriifolia a calcareous specie for me your substrate for the hybrid is not good.

jeff

jeff

These soil type maps of the US might be helpful. An interesting project would be to overlay the USDA maps of reported CP populations over these.

http://www.bonap.org/2008_Soil/SoilTypesRelatedMaps.html

Hm. But in that case the resolution and accuracy of the maps must be the same, if you want to pull the information about natural soil type out of it. Here in Germany, for example peat bogs may be very small and I think that small peat bogs just dissapear in soil type maps. I'd rather prefer a kind of written species/soil table that shows information about what soil is best for what species.

Bonjour

for corsica yes 'in situ' it is a pure peat , in my cultivate for this specie also

Bonjour Jeff, I keep that in mind!

if you want some hibernaculae or buds for the corsica var pallidula ( the white species) in this autumn I can send some one.

I keep that in mind, too!

I use for macroceras( var macroceras or var nortensis ) blond peat , may be it is the problem.

Perhaps you can mix a little bit of black peat or some kind of marshland soil into the substrate? What I purchased for my macroceras ssp. nortensis was declared to be blonde peat, but I think its more a mix of blonde and black peat. What I think about my macroceras nortensis is, that they suffer from heat and sunlight during summer, even here at 53° North. So perhaps the heat in your area makes them more suffering than the peat you use.

fiorii is very difficult good substrate ; longifolia subsp reichenbachiana is a calcareous species not a acid ( see the picture on my web site)

grandiflora subsp rosea is not a acid specie like vallisneriifolia , the first is rather a calcareous clay specie , vallisneriifolia a calcareous specie for me your substrate for the hybrid is not good.

The three hibernacles I showed previously are in the same pot and substrate they were when I purchased them. I just turned the moss on the surface upside down and removed the gemmae (if available) earlier this year. I'm planning to repot them "including all the pot contents" into a mini-bog with calcerous substrate later this season. I just have to dig out some soill in my garden to dig in another mini-bog during the next months.

And here is another one of my collection, it is my Pinguicula alpina.
Not really a hibernacle any longer, but seems to be a very rare species in cultivation, at least the price is high to purchase one:
Pinguicula_alpina_March.jpg

suite

Bonjour

longifolia subsp reichenbachiana like all the longifolia are not a bog species , rather a specie grown on a calcareous cliff like vallisneriifolia and a lot of others calcareous ping species.

these longifolia and vallisneriifolia have need a long leave to catch the insecte ,in a bog I think you have not these long leaves.

I cultivate all these species in a calcareous substrate , pot tilt to 45° to have these long leaves , and I have 20cm some time for one leave it is good no !!!

P.alpina is a specie with a undifferentiated substrate 'in situ' .

some times I cultivate this specie in acid substrate or in calcareous .

the ideal for this specie is to start by seeds , and do not touch after , no repot .

not a number:

interessant maps , the soil with the vegetation are very important , in fact their environment.

for a lot of US ping we know their situation example the subtropical ( see on my web site the rubric and go to "monography" , then you have specie by specie to 'habitats' the "chorologique "map.)

jeff

Last edited:
Not a thread jack, but here are some flowers I have this year. Anyone else have any?

P. macroceras ssp nortensis

P. grandiflora ssp rosea putting up a flower

P. corsica flowers!

P. vulgaris

Mauro

Nice flowers! I don't have anything flowering right now, but when i take my grandiflora out of dormancy in June, I'm certain to have lots of flowers, like previous times. Who says they can't grow indoors? :)

Not a thread jack, but here are some flowers I have this year. Anyone else have any?

This year I have flowers of P. grandiflora, P. macroceras ssp. nortensis and the hybrid P. grandiflora rosea x vallisneriifolia so far. I think I will show pictures when I have some more species flowering.

Nice looking collection!

Anyone else have any?

Here are some flowers of my cold hardy Pinguicula this year.

Pinguicula vallisneriifolia (typical), unfortunately each flower I had was a bit damaged:
Ping_vallisneriifolia_typical.jpg

Pinguicula vallisneriifolia (light blue flower):
Ping_vallisneriifolia_lightblue.jpg

Pinguicula vallisneriifolia (white flower):
Ping_vallisneriifolia_white.jpg

Pinguicula grandiflora:
P_grandiflora_2012.jpg

Pinguicula spec. Rio Ara:
Ping_spec_RioAra2.jpg

Pinguicula grandiflora rosea x vallisneriifolia:
P_grandiflora_rosea_x_vallisneriifolia.jpg

And those I have the most flowers from each year, Pinguicula macroceras ssp. nortensis:
P_macroceras_2012a.jpg

P_macroceras_2012.jpg

Yesterday, I went out and pulled my mini-bog out of the ground and pulled the 12" of pine needles and oak leaves off of it and my single P.grandiflora that survived the winter produced about 20 or so gemma.That's one thing I really love about this species.If even one survives and produces gemma you have a chance to grow them again and learn from your mistakes !!

My P. primuliflora had some nice flowers, but they withered. :down:

Yesterday, I went out and pulled my mini-bog out of the ground and pulled the 12" of pine needles and oak leaves off of it and my single P.grandiflora that survived the winter produced about 20 or so gemma.That's one thing I really love about this species.If even one survives and produces gemma you have a chance to grow them again and learn from your mistakes !!

Yes, that's fine with P. grandiflora: They can produce masses of gemmae from a single winter bud if you have grown them at good growing conditions the season before. The gemmae then can grow to flowering size within just another growing season, if everything stays well.

For me, P. macroceras ssp. nortensis and P. grandiflora (typical) are the only two species of cold hardy Pinguicula that can produce masses of gemmae under certain conditions.

But there are others that are not so bad in gemmae production as well.

What I can show is a picture of winter buds of another cold hardy Pinguicula, it is a cultivated hybrid:

P. grandiflora rosea x vallisneriifolia.

I started with a few gemmae and I'm cultivating them since two growing seasons.
This is all I have currently:

P_grandiflora_rosea_x_vallisneriifolia_hibernacula.jpg

This hybrid is forming very big winter buds. And a good amount of gemmae as well. Of course I do my best to rescue each single gemmae and plant it seperately from the mother plant-

ok for those of you who grow pings outside, do you give them as much sun as they can get , or do you shoot for more sun in the morning and shade in the afternoon?

monkey_Cup

Back