What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about dormancy

I am new to butterworts and need a little help! I received a P. Titan and P. Pirouette about two months ago. They were dormant when they arrived and I was told to give them their dry dormancy for another month or so. I gradually increased watering and the Pirouette started making carnivorous leaves and is now on the tray system. The Titan has shown no signs of "waking up." The outermost leaves seem to be less fleshy now and are turning a little golden/yellow. Will it rot if I put it on the tray system before it's ready to come out of dormancy or is that exactly what it needs to break dormancy? Thanks for your advice.

I usually let the plant tell me by how it is growing on when to increase or decrease watering for dormancy. Trying to force some out of dormancy by increasing watering often does not end well.

Ha, this is a question I was curious about. Some of my pings just went dormant with the change of soil that I guess they did not like.

With my hybrids (P. x 'Pirouette', x 'Tina' and x 'Florian'), I usually don't observe a dormancy with them. I've been growing them for years now without any trouble. The Florian, though, may be a possible exception to this.

Remember that these guys are very easy to propagate with pullings. If yours is sick, or seems "stuck in a rut," you can always pull a few leaves, toss the mother plant, and start from fresh.

Generally what I do is just decrease watering in the winter. I never give them a true dry period because half my collection never goes dormant. As soon as it starts warming up, I start watering more regardless if the Pings are dormant or not. I use the tray system as well. I think the trick is to not allow the Pings to be wet all the time. I always let mine dry out quite a bit between waterings. I wait until the media is almost dry to the touch. Then I refill my tray and wait about a week or so (or until the media is almost dry again). Of course this is what works for me in my conditions. The same may not be true for you.

I moved a little over two years ago. Before moving my Titans never went dormant. Now they have decided to stay dormant about 75% of the time. The other 25% they actually grow and produce carnivorous leaves. Even with it being almost 80F under the lights in the summer time, they still remain dormant. I don't get them. I have a friend that I sent some Titan plantlets to that grows in a greenhouse. He experiences the very same thing. His Titans only grown when they please and it's for a very short time.

Crystal

So do I understand correctly: if the ping went to sleep on its own, reduce watering/keep dry, and at some point it will just come out from dormancy on its own even though it is being kept dryer?

With my hybrids (P. x 'Pirouette', x 'Tina' and x 'Florian'), I usually don't observe a dormancy with them. I've been growing them for years now without any trouble. The Florian, though, may be a possible exception to this.

Remember that these guys are very easy to propagate with pullings. If yours is sick, or seems "stuck in a rut," you can always pull a few leaves, toss the mother plant, and start from fresh.

Luckily I did take some pullings when I received them and they have sprouted so I should be good, even if the main plant doesn't make it.

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

Generally what I do is just decrease watering in the winter. I never give them a true dry period because half my collection never goes dormant. As soon as it starts warming up, I start watering more regardless if the Pings are dormant or not. I use the tray system as well. I think the trick is to not allow the Pings to be wet all the time. I always let mine dry out quite a bit between waterings. I wait until the media is almost dry to the touch. Then I refill my tray and wait about a week or so (or until the media is almost dry again). Of course this is what works for me in my conditions. The same may not be true for you.

I moved a little over two years ago. Before moving my Titans never went dormant. Now they have decided to stay dormant about 75% of the time. The other 25% they actually grow and produce carnivorous leaves. Even with it being almost 80F under the lights in the summer time, they still remain dormant. I don't get them. I have a friend that I sent some Titan plantlets to that grows in a greenhouse. He experiences the very same thing. His Titans only grown when they please and it's for a very short time.

Crystal

This is encouraging...sort of. It's encouraging that others have Titans that like to stay dormant but discouraging because I would love to see those giant leaves! Thanks to all for the tips.

suite

Bonjour

for the mexican ping and their hybrids the dormancy is important ( 'in situ' it is the dry period of the country, they have succulent leaves for to pass it in better condition , like cacteae and succulent plant)

attention to the watering , too ,may be rot ( often if you have yellow leaves ).

the substrate must be little water-retaining , just enough and enough filtering

jeff

Temps should be lower, to go with the dry period. 40's is about right.

JIMSCOTT

temps = temperate ?

40?

for temperate there are no dry period . In winter ( often from august) they make hibernaculae ( except 3-4 species) , this period, very wet ( snowy) , is ideal for them to colonize the environment by floating.

jeff

Crystal

I had a p. titan and it did this too. I grew sick of the plant.

Back