What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Pollinate Pinguicula video

Hello friends,

I made this video showing how to pollinate pinguicula. I had to pollinate p. caerulea anyway :)

Excellent Ian. People always have question on how to do this. Now they can see how it's done step-by-step.

Great video! I learned a few new things about pinguicula.

Thanks.... I needed that!

I am so glad you guys are finding it helpful! Was a bit confusing for me at first until Joseph Clemens mentioned ripping open the flower. I'm pleased I could actually get footage of the process, since I don't think any other exists! I know there are pictures of the flower parts, and those are very helpful also.

Excellent Ian. People always have question on how to do this. Now they can see how it's done step-by-step.

An honor to have your approval!

I was so inspired that I tried it on these:

001-10.jpg

I have tried this method of pollination before on couple of my Mexican pings. Never worked unfortunately. Must have been doing something wrong. Also tore the part of he flower off like in the video and used toothpick as suggested by Joseph. I wonder if my failure was due to the fact that I was trying to crosspolinate the hybrids?

In addition If I remember correctly it was suggested waiting three days after the flower opens to pollinate so that It has enough time to develop the pollen. Does this sound reasonable?
Is there a point in flowers life when it is too late for pollination (before it shrivels up and dies obviously)?

Thanks

many hybrids are sterile

Mickey is correct. Also, some Mexican pings don't produce pollen (so I've heard) in cultivation. Basically they flower but are not going to produce seed no matter what in certain conditions. This may be incorrect, but I read a discussion from some knowlegeable growers on the subject.

Mickey is correct. Also, some Mexican pings don't produce pollen (so I've heard) in cultivation. Basically they flower but are not going to produce seed no matter what in certain conditions. This may be incorrect, but I read a discussion from some knowlegeable growers on the subject.

I did check to make sure the plant is not sterile (searched online for information of crossbreeds and other info)
I have tried it with P. 'Weser'. That one does not appear sterile judging by all the crosses available. And I remember plenty of pollen :) I guess my technique was just sloppy. I'll try again.

Wow.. that was super useful dude! I've tried the "poke and wiggle and hope for the best" method a couple times without success. lol. I do believe I will now try it the "legit way" as you have shown and try again! Cyclosecta x 'Titan' or Cyclosecta x [Agnata x emarginata] sounds like it could be cool!

Don't know what to tell you, gill_za :cry:

I haven't tried mexi pings, but I have heard it's all done the same way. It works well for p. caerulea :shrug:

This should work for utricularia also. Same basic principle except the flower is hinged...and you really need a magnifying glass for them :D

Jimscott: let me know how it works out! I love your p. gigantea BTW. I am sworn to a single mexican ping species...I have determined to grow gigantea, for it alone is worthy! (other mexis are really nice, but I'm not skilled enough and our climate isn't the best for much else.)

Don't know what to tell you, gill_za :cry:

I haven't tried mexi pings, but I have heard it's all done the same way. It works well for p. caerulea :shrug:

This should work for utricularia also. Same basic principle except the flower is hinged...and you really need a magnifying glass for them :D

Jimscott: let me know how it works out! I love your p. gigantea BTW. I am sworn to a single mexican ping species...I have determined to grow gigantea, for it alone is worthy! (other mexis are really nice, but I'm not skilled enough and our climate isn't the best for much else.)

Also possible to damage the stigma flap if not careful. I use the smallest brush i could find to do the pollination of U. nelumbifolia. Harder with the pings things are so much smaller....

Also possible to damage the stigma flap if not careful. I use the smallest brush i could find to do the pollination of U. nelumbifolia. Harder with the pings things are so much smaller....

You mean harder to pollinate utrics than pings, right?

dunno i work with huge utricularia so realtively easy to see the parts. Pings tiny by comparison....

Oh, grand! So some utrics are easy then :D Thanks for teaching me something. I had a nelumbifolia once...almost about to flower 2x and then it got heat stroke one day. Just when it seemed invincible it perished--totally--nothing remained. Was more like a dying animal than a plant.

Will do. Trouble is, I used crosses that happened to be flowering at the moment. A real test is when the P. moctezumae opens up another flower, along with something that isn't already a cross.

Last edited:
This should be made a sticky

This should be made a sticky

Agreed. If not I could post the video in both threads that are already stickys. But perhaps this thread could replace the shorter of the two already up there?

Anyway, thank you for the support!

Back