What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Something ate my Pinguicula primuliflora

Luckily I've already gotten some babies off this one and some cuttings so I'm not at a loss, but I'm just curious what did the damage?

DSC_0537_zpsc5a19326.jpg

See through worm seemed to be the most likely culprit I found in the pot. They were everywhere under the dead leaves.

I also had these maggots in the soil nearby as well.
DSC_0542_zps377832c4.jpg

After removing the dead rosettes I found a huge set of roots, looks like they didn't damage those. I sprayed with Neem. Do you think its likely to come back alive from these roots?

Well, you can try salvaging what's left of the plant, clean it so that there is no media remaining on the tissue, and throw that media away.

So far, I'd say the one in the first picture is the culprit(I think they are fungus gnat larvae). They've been eating my mexican pings recently:(. I've never heard of pings coming back from roots though...

The 1st pic is definitely a fungus gnat larvae and more than likely the culprit. The 2nd pic appears to be pupa of some kind. Put them in a sealed jar and see what they turn into. Unfortunately, the plant is a goner, it won't come back from the roots.

The 1st pic is definitely a fungus gnat larvae and more than likely the culprit. The 2nd pic appears to be pupa of some kind. Put them in a sealed jar and see what they turn into. Unfortunately, the plant is a goner, it won't come back from the roots.

Bummer, sad to see such a nice one go. At least now I know what to look for if it ever happens again. It went from awesome to dead in about five days, but I think if I had known earlier it couldve been saved. And here I thought it was just because of a drop in temps and lack of light.

Does Neem kill these guys?

You have my sympathy, my dog ate all my Moctezumae strikes recently and a bunch of other plants.

:( I'm so sorry that you lost your plant - animals always seem to need to get revenge for all their friends that have been eaten! :censor:

I think it is a sciarides larvae.

all your substrate is contamined ,

throws or passes it few seconds in a oven to kill these creepy crawly .

if your primuliflora substrate is contamined you can make a pot immersion 2-3 days .

jeff

Last edited:
How exactly would I go about doing the pot immersion? Well, I guess the better question would be what do I immerse it in?

You could also get some nematodes from ebay or something.. they have a limited lifespan though, both in the soil and in storage... the nematodes eat pretty much any nasty critter living under the soil except for earthworms. something having to do with their body temperature i think

Bonjour

yes in inmmersion in rain water 3-4 hours , if you have always, get longer try 1or 2 days

jeff

Back