What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm a little confused about my Ping...

Hello there! I'm both new here and to growing CPs, but I've always been fascinated with them. Anyways, I lied a little - I'm actually very confused and worried about how my Ping is doing... =/

I've never really had much experience with plants. The last time I had to take care of any plant was just a couple months ago during Thanksgiving and I ended up overwatering them. They only one I did well with was a small bonsai. I learned my lesson and got better!

Recently I bought a nice Pinguicula (P. Laueana), it's supposed to have pink leaves but after spending like three days in a cold, dark box I expected it to be green (and it was). I also expected it to be small, asleep and to lose some leaves but not at the rate its going at now...

This is what it looked like when I got it:

2113-11Itfellout_zps31c0e5c9.jpg

Funny story! So when I was unwrapping the moss around it, it fell out of the pot like that. Completely freaked me out! I called the person I bought it from and he told me it was okay, I just had to put it back in the pot. I was worried that it'd have negative reprucussions!

Here it is in the pot after I put it back:

2113-13CloseUp_zps6bcbc760.jpg

That was a week ago and now you have a gist of what my little guy looked like when it got here...and this is where things go downhill... =(

Like I said, it's only been a week and I expected leaf loss due to the shock of being sent in the mail but now it looks like this...

2813-12UpdatedPlant_zps16e5d110.jpg

The bigger leaves are still dying too and I'm scared that the smaller succulent leaves will be next! =(

On top of that, something ELSE seems to be growing in the pot. I thought maybe it's the moss but does moss have something that looks like a flower bud and a red stalk? At first there was only one but a SECOND stalk came out. I thought that was all but then I noticed a THIRD stalk but instead of red it was green!

Kinda blurry but you can see the buds of the two red stalks:

2413-9SecondBud2_zps03b51326.jpg

2413-8SecondBud1_zps45351e7d.jpg

In this one you can barely see the Green stalk because it's blurry. Its on the left though. (When I get the chance I'll edit the pic and circle where it is) :

2413-11SecondBud4_zps85fa07de.jpg

The three buds are not that big, this one is the buds next to my finger:

2813-13Proportion_zpsaaca1a1b.jpg

The little green stalk is beginning to turn red like the other two. Only the tallest red one was there when I first got my Ping. I thought it was going to wilt and die but it's been clinging on to life pretty well.

I told a friend of mine of my worries (that my Ping was dying and it was my fault). I have a GE Plant & Aquarium and a 13 watt Ottlite. The temp my house at is 67-70 F and the Humidity here (Portland, OR) is usually between 70 - 100%. He suggested that I check on the roots. I did some research and I know that the roots are small and should be white but I've never actually seen them before.

Are these the roots? And if so, are they healthy?

2813-15Anotherone_zpsda79d5f5.jpg

I don't know what to do. Are the leaves supposed to be dying like this? Does anyone know what the three buds are?

This plant looks fine to me. This is just the winter succulent phase that most Mexican Pinguicula experience this time of year.

I agree, it looks fine. This is normal for tropical pings this time of year. It should start puting out larger carnivorous leaves in a month or two.

edit: Do your research on these plants. www.carnivorousplants.org is a good resource with lots of good plant care information on most carnivorous plants.

But am I supposed to lose all those big leaves? Even the smaller ones are beginning to look bad. They get pale, starting from the edges of the leaf, then the entire thing turns white/transparent, then it gets wrinkled and brown. (I'm kinda scared that it's because I was tampering with it since I move it from window sill to my desk when it's not very sunny out).

Also, those three stalks...are they another plant or are they part of my Ping? I thought the stalks were supposed to grow from the center.

It's confusing for me because things are dying but things are also growing. It's hard to gauge if I'm caring for it properly. =(

This is normal. Those stalks are from the moss, not the Ping.

Yes, the plant will lose it's larger leaves and replace them with the small succulent leaves. Those stalks are just the fruiting bodies of a moss that is growing with your plant. You should also be keeping it pretty dry this time of year. Follow Rich's advice and read up further on these plants. I'm sure the site he recommended will answer any questions you might have and provide additional cultivation tips.

Thanks very much guys! It's a comfort to know that everything is okay. =)

Good luck with it! :)

Thanks! I'm trying my best! I'm inexperienced but even if this ends up being a failure I'll still have learned a bit so I can't say it's a total failure. XD

Little guy is now about the size of a nickel. I looked at the crown and I think but am not sure that it's still growing more succulent leaves...I can't wait till March!

Don't worry, try to high humidity, time leaves broken parts of grow seedlings.

Back