What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Division?

Plant Planter

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever
My Pinguicula primuliflora that I have owned for roughly two and a half weeks clearly has at least four separate plants in its pot. The question is: Should I divide my butterworts, and if so, at what time?

refer to your drosera division thread. though with this species it would be better to do this during early spring or late fall. it really depends on your confidence level.

I'm not very confident with either, especially since I just noticed how poorly my sundew is potted. It's really just attached to a clump of dirt in a lining of Sphagnum. I can pull it out, no problem, just by its old flower stalk.

P. primuliflora has no problem in being stacked on top of itself, as that's how they end up in the wild, one plant growing on top of another until there's enough intertwined leaves to alow them to even float on water. If you do decide to repot them, just note that the leaf plantlets that will likely almost immediately form will end up just doing the same thing.

When the pinguicula is dormant, its quite easy to separate the plants. The plants are littles, so you can see the separation of the plants.

I do that with my moranensis and my rectifolia last week.

Maiden, P. primuliflora doesn't have a "dormancy period" per se, as it's a warm temperate plant. They do slow down some in winter, but they never sleep. With this species, unless the plantlet is still attached to a leaf, they should all just come out as separate plants and can be potted separately if that's the wish.

I have heard that Pinguicula primuliflora is different from other temperate butterworts since it does make those little plantlets on the ends of its leaves. I've heard that if it's healthy it does that so often it's annoying. Speaking of my butterwort, it has its FIRST KILL!!!!! At least its first kill in my house. Death to gnats! :mwahaha:

Maiden, P. primuliflora doesn't have a "dormancy period" per se, as it's a warm temperate plant. They do slow down some in winter, but they never sleep. With this species, unless the plantlet is still attached to a leaf, they should all just come out as separate plants and can be potted separately if that's the wish.

eeee i dont feel stupid right now. =-)

Plant planter: yes, if you take care of it right, it will overrun you. That's why I don't put it in anything larger than a plastic cup. And Maiden: no reason to feel dumb, we all learn something new every day :D. This is just one of the many that grow nearly year round in the southeast US.

Back