What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mexican Pings feeding

This is from the first day on my phone:
IMG_20130410_175829_zps3f0512f8.jpg

This is from just now, 28 hours later:
DSC016051024x768_zps5fb9d1ff.jpg

My grandmother poked the spiders so they got moved. She doesn't understand English...or at least pretends not to so she can do whatever she wants. *sighs*

A lot of species will have the pronounced curving over when given food, but typically only if the food is near the edge of the leaf. My P. grandiflora do this a lot. Just depends on health of the plant, size of the food (medium-sized food items, like whole bloodworms, get the best reaction without damaging the leaf), and of course species. Thicker leaved Mexican species won't curl.

I only grow mexican ping, so maybe this is the reason why id neved saw that curling reaction. Its very interesting :)

This is from the first day on my phone:
IMG_20130410_175829_zps3f0512f8.jpg

This is from just now, 28 hours later:
DSC016051024x768_zps5fb9d1ff.jpg

My grandmother poked the spiders so they got moved. She doesn't understand English...or at least pretends not to so she can do whatever she wants. *sighs*

LOL mhmm im wondering if this will work with my girlfriend, or at my dayjob... I will try :p

"Sorry, i speak only serb language" SLAP !

Last edited:
I never knew that pinguicula make so much dew when they're eating.

This is a day after it caught the mosquito.

a5cak31kd1m137ofg.jpg

Maybe the plant is more 'agressive' after many weeks without food?

Very good thread, and helpful for me too.

I have a lot of dried fruitflies and living ones too. I tried sprinkling the living ones on my Pings this winter and I never saw any stick. I still have not ground up the dried flies like written in the link given above http://carnivorousplant.com/growing_pinguicula_detailed.html I guess I should. I do have a flower on one of my Pings, but I forget the species. (I may have a tag on it at work, I need to check). It has long thin leaves like gypsicola or heterophylla. I kept it watered all winter in a western window and it has flowered off and on since February. I am really still a very green novice with these plants.

Third feeding...and two of the Pings have flowered! :boogie:

Haha! Omg those little bloodworm hearts are so cute! I hope you post pics of the next feeding too! <3

maybe I should do a comparison with bloodworms and crushed fish pellets and see what pings like more.:-O

maybe I should do a comparison with bloodworms and crushed fish pellets and see what pings like more.:-O

I'd love to see the results too! I'm curious since it looks like Cindy's pings really enjoy bloodworms!

Some updates, 5 months later.

The two original containers of Pings. The size will not get much bigger as my temperatures are high year round but the plants are doing very well. :banana2:

Two containers of cuttings as well as offshoots (from plants splitting into twos or threes after flowering). :0o:

I'd love to see the results too! I'm curious since it looks like Cindy's pings really enjoy bloodworms!

Be careful with dried fish food. Look on the ingredients. Most contain high levels of some sort of binder like wheat gluten, which may not be too digestible for your plants :p

Be careful with dried fish food. Look on the ingredients. Most contain high levels of some sort of binder like wheat gluten, which may not be too digestible for your plants :p

A few photos before Christmas decorations begin...

Looks really nice with all of the plants close together...

...but I will ALWAYS separate them as they are prone to rot in ambient conditions. :eek:

Needs some bleu cheese dressing...

Are you growing them in pure perlite? I didn't know that was possible.

Yes, they are in pure perlite. I've tried sand, coral sand, sphagnum moss, peat, lava rock etc etc. Nothing worked. Except pure perlite and some live sphagnum moss for the roots to hold on to. My growing condition is like a lowland terrarium and Mexican Pings tend to rot at the base. These are all hybrids which make them more heat tolerant.

Back