What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mexican Pings feeding

Cindy

Staff member
I ignored my Mexican pings until the end of last year when they were shrinking considerably. Then I placed bloodworms on them.

Top: How they looked when fed on the last day of 2012.
Bottom: Today after the second feeding the day before

pings_bloodworms_zpsa2da5771.jpg

My God, I will try it, change is too big?

Wow, I never knew that pings shrink (O).(O)... What kind are they?
Also, I can't helpto notice you "drew" with the bloodworms LOL!!!

Any heart-shaped ones?

I love the pure perlite you are using! An earlier thread you posted in inspired me to do the same thing with pings and drosera. It seems to be working well.

a few modest starts
002_zps51fb8628.jpg

Last edited:
These are Mexican Ping hybrids. Not too what they are exactly though. I can't grow any other Mexican Pings in my weather as they will just melt away in the heat. Somehow the perlite has been keeping these relatively cool. They used to be larger...maybe 2-3 plants per container but over the past year, the leaves put out got smaller and smaller. Very glad I have gotten back to feeding them!

Well they sure look great! Good growing and way to think outside the pot to get results. Thanks for sharing :awesome:

Yep dryed bloodworms bring very good results!
Well done :)

Just curious, how long do Mexican Pings take to eat? I caught and killed two spiders. After sticking them on the leaves (the ones that are greasy) nothing is happening even after 10 minutes. =x

Let the pings eat! LOL!!! It takes time for the digestive enzymes to get all over the dead body:)

Don't worry, I haven't been bugging my Ping while it's eating. Get it? Bugging? Because it eats bugs-okay, okay that was a really cheesy joke. I couldn't resist! XD

I was curious because mine isn't drooling or anything. It's just as sticky as it usually is. =x

Just curious, how long do Mexican Pings take to eat? I caught and killed two spiders. After sticking them on the leaves (the ones that are greasy) nothing is happening even after 10 minutes. =x

Nothing after 10 minutes ??

Mhmm

I think your ping is broken. Maybe you should buy another one :p

Tempted to make a Mordor "One does not simply..." meme pic. Hehe!

I'm serious though, nothing happened. Maybe my ping just doesn't like spiders.... =x

Just checked on it after an entire night. Still nothing. I even took a pic!

Last edited:
Firemousey: A picture would help, but don't expect the ping to start drooling fluids all over a spider you stuck on the leaves. If your going to feed pings with dead spiders, you be better off letting the spider dry to a crisp then grinding the spider into little bits and sprinkling it onto the leaves. Then a quick mist over the plants with RO and you're good to go.

In the following link by Joesph Clemens he talks about powdering insects before feeding his Mexican Pinguicula.

See #2 under "Details of our Technique"
http://carnivorousplant.com/growing_pinguicula_detailed.html

Was a joke :)

The leaf will not move like a vft, or a drosera. Maybe you will see a lil curving of the leaves, but nothing spectacular. I think the curve are used by the plant to keep the digestive liquid on the leaves.

When i feed my pinguicula collection, i put 2 or 3 tiny pieces of dryed blood worm on each pinguicula. After many hours, the DBW will be into a digestive enzymes pool. And the next day, or 2 days later, the digestion process is over.

Im doing this on each pinguicula, once a week, or once a month when i forgot.

After that, i have to feed my 35vfts, my 15 heliamphora, my 20 drosera, my 2 neps and 18-20 sarracenias. Yeah

1gram of DBW each month only for my plants ! (and some beers for me)

cheers

wow, im surprised lol

Its the first time i see that, many species can do that?

Last edited:
They usually just start to drool.
IMGP3599copy.jpg:original

IMGP3597copy.jpg:original

wow, im surprised lol

Its the first i see that, many species can do that?

Im not too sure its only been cyclosecta that has done it for me (numerous times). I was as surprised as you are the first time it happened to me! haha

NaN: They definitely do "drool", what I meant was a large (comparitively) spider placed on a leaf usually won't start to drool. With smaller insects (melanos) the drool is much more noticeable as seen in your photos. Your average Pinguicula wont make enough fluids to get the same effect when it comes to large insects.

A lot of species will have the pronounced curving over when given food, but typically only if the food is near the edge of the leaf. My P. grandiflora do this a lot. Just depends on health of the plant, size of the food (medium-sized food items, like whole bloodworms, get the best reaction without damaging the leaf), and of course species. Thicker leaved Mexican species won't curl.

Back