What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula in Paradise

8I just got back from an 8 day camping trip in the Florida Keys with my Marine Chemistry Class. Along with sightseeing in Key West and enjoying coconuts on pristine beaches, I had to take a few trips into the wild to find carnivorous plants in their habitat. So I convinced one of my classmates to come along and hike Big Pine Key.

The habitat we encountered was very different than the longleaf pine forests I was used to. Instead of sandy soil with grasses, the ground was almost completely limestone. Shrubs and palms grew in cracks, but the forest was dominated by stunted slash pines.

a>

We followed the trail while I looked for Pinguicula pumila. It wasn't very long until I spotted the first plant.

a>

a>

a>

There was plenty of color variation of the flowers. One was almost yellow.

a>

Others were violet.

a>

One plant was much redder than the others, despite being in heavier shade.

a>

I found a larger plant a little further up the trail.

a>

Not far away, a few Tillandsias were growing on a buttonwood tree near a marsh.

a>

a>

There were also some key deer on a nearby road

a>

It is interesting finding a carnivorous plant in a rockland rather than the usual wetlands that I am accustom to. I kept a lookout for Catopsis in Key Largo and Castellow Hammock after reading reports of the plants growing there. Unfortunatly, there were none on the trail. Plenty of Tillandsias thought.

a>

a>

a>

a>

a>

a>

Great shots. I had no idea that Pinguicula went as far south as the keys.

You, my friend, are not a photographer, but The Photographer. :hail:

Sweet :) Yeah, I didn't know there were any cp's in the keys either. Really interesting habitat

Pings will grow just about anywhere they can find moisture. I had no idea they were in the Keys, though.

hmmm . maybe this species benefits form some calcium in their mix. that looks like limestone as a substrate....

I had no idea that they grew in the keys either until about a year ago. They grow in pine rocklands, one of the most endangered ecosystems in Florida. There are a few pine rocklands on the lower keys and a few in the everglades. To my knowledge, the pings in South Florida grow only on Big Pine Key and the everglades. The rocklands are full of tropical species and most of the plants were actually of West Indian origin. I felt like I should have been seeing mexican pinguicula rather than pumila! This place is truly unique and when I signed up for the camping trip this past winter I knew I had to visit this site. It is well worth it.

great pics ,loving those tillandsia

I went back to Big Pine Key this year. My friend's first reaction was that it looked like a barren wasteland with the bone white limestone contrasting with the scorched pine trunks.

100_3930_zps3f5d570e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Despite the hostile appearance, there were plenty of interesting flowers

Untitled_zps4f963532.png

including Pinguicula pumila:

100_3945_zpsf057713c.jpg

It took me a while to find the plants even though I found them a year ago. As I frantically searched, I tried to convince my somewhat skeptical friends that this is the sort of plant that is hard to find at first; but when you find one, you will find many more.

100_3950_zps6569ea3d.jpg

They were hard to find because of their small size, but they did seem to be growing well.

100_3946_zps7c51e011.jpg

100_3954_zps354ca624.jpg

Last edited:
I think you've got the wrong pics up.

Thanks, It took a while to fix, but I think they are correct now.

Great pics ! I still find it so strange that they're growing where they are. I wonder if any of the Caribbean species like cubensis or the epiphytic casabitoana and lignicola have found their way to parts of the Keys or southern Florida.........

It's possible! That sort of thing happens to orchids all the time. Every book I have seen cataloging orchids of the everglades shows different orchid sightings of Caribbean and South American Species. Many of these are isolate and may not have lasted long enough to populate the area. Then again Pinguicula seeds are heavier than orchid seeds and would probably be spread by birds. If they haven't spread here yet it may just be a matter of time.

But I would love for some Caribbean Pings and perhaps epiphytic utrics to make their way into Florida. I guess the best we can do is conserve the ecosystems in South Florida and keep exploring!

Many Caribbean species of plants have already made their way by hook or by crook to the southern tip of Florida. While Pinguicula seeds are not as light and able to be carried by wind as orchid seeds, it's still a relatively short jaunt from "the Islands" to the Keys. I'd love to see some turn up in the dark corners of southern Florida !

You're right about that! Cuba is closer to Key West than Key West is to Miami.

Back