What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fasciation fascination

HOW DID YOU KNOW ABOUT THAT ONE NIGHT?!

Ah! Err...crap they're on to me! I better find my aluminium foil cap! *runs away!*

Time for an update on the cristate P. jaumavensis.

Here are some pics from May 21, 2013 showing the larger mother and the smaller daughter ping.

A pic of the smaller daughter ping on May 27, 2013.

I had expected the larger mother to divide again before the daughter did.

A shot from today, May 30, showing the mother in the foreground.

Last night though, I noticed that the smaller form (on right) was already in the process of dividing, and it should be fully divided into two separate plants in just over a week or so.

When these forms decide to divide, it happens quickly.

dvg

Now they're not so much like cells. Cells don't divide THAT quickly. Still, at least you'll get more plants! Did you feed them anything unusual like fertilizer? That usually interferes with growth, good or bad as it may be.

Now they're not so much like cells. Cells don't divide THAT quickly. Still, at least you'll get more plants! Did you feed them anything unusual like fertilizer? That usually interferes with growth, good or bad as it may be.

Hi Plant Planter, they were fed with bloodworms, to which they seem to respond quite well to. :)

dvg

Ohhhhhhh. Well, that explains it. I don't feed my plants simply because if I did, they'd become obese. My plants love eating things.

I love it when you update! On kind of a side topic, do your normal pings divide often too or is it just the jaumavensis?

Also, when you feed them, do you leave the bloodworms on them until they're gone or do you brush them off after a week?

Last edited:
I love it when you update! On kind of a side topic, do your normal pings divide often too or is it just the jaumavensis?

Also, when you feed them, do you leave the bloodworms on them until they're gone or do you brush them off after a week?

Hi Firemousey,

My typical pings do not divide as often as this cristate P. jaumavensis has been dividing lately.

With the bloodworms, I usually grind them up into a powder form and then sprinkle the dust onto my plants.

I will usually leave it on, but will occasionally rinse it off, especially with these small cristate forms.

Since my last post, the dividing ping completed the division.

I like to let these dry out after they divide and this time I removed the dome that these were growing under.

A side effect of having more light, resulted in some striping down the middle of the newer leaves and faint striping on the older leaves.

The typical plants are starting to show faint pink stripes as well, but the cristate forms are showing them first.

dvg

Pings really do like their light don't they? I wonder if they ever get sun-stressed/light-stressed.

Pings really do like their light don't they? I wonder if they ever get sun-stressed/light-stressed.

Mexi-pings seem to do best under good artificial lighting, which must be quite weak in comparison to having the Mexican sun overhead.

Here are a few pics from today of P. spec. Minas des Asbestos in cristate growth.

Top view

Side view

Opposite side

dvg

Those are really amazing to look at. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Eric, :)

A couple of shots taken in the shade today.

These mexi-pings, when given adequate light, have a faint pink stripe mid-leaf extending out to the fringe of the leaf.

I was able to break apart a couple of these cristata forms into two pieces with my fingers, so there are at least six of these growing in this pot now, along with a couple potential offset prospects that were separated away from a couple of the cristate forms. (a couple shots taken in the sun)

These cristates also form offset growths that retain their cristate pattern, which are then removed and hopefully these will 'catch' and grow into mature cristate forms as well. (top row, centre)

These forms can be propagated by:

a) letting them divide into two on their own

b) breaking the cristate growths into two or more pieces

c) offset cristate growths that were separated from mother plants are looking promising.

d) thus far, single leaf pulls have resulted in typical rosette type growth.

dvg

Here is a bit of an update on the cristate P. spec. Minas des Asbestos.

These pics were taken back on Oct. 15, 2013.

The photos were taken to show the crested growth of this plant from one end to the other.

Shortly after the photos were taken, I attempted to clean up the dead roots and leaves from the underside and fringes of this mexi-ping, which resulted in the plant breaking cleanly into three separate pieces.

Here are a couple pics from January 21 of this year.

dvg

Those are some of the cutest pings ever. wow. I love the P. jaumavensis.<textarea id="adlesse_unifier_magic_element_id" style="display: none;"></textarea> Thanks for sharing.

Definitely the coolest pings I have ever seen! Crazy that leaf pulls produce typical rosette growth.

cool update DVG, :-D

How does that even happen?!

Thanks for the comments.

Great to hear that some of you are finding these crested monstrosities of some interest. :)

dvg

How does that even happen?!

They look mad cool, but I agree with the above ^ I don't understand exactly what is going on. I see that they are multiplying, but that's all I am getting . . .

They look mad cool, but I agree with the above ^ I don't understand exactly what is going on. I see that they are multiplying, but that's all I am getting . . .

Hi Acro, what you are seeing with these crested pings is bilateral growth - meaning that the growth points expand out in opposite directions.

This crest is also bifacial - it is similar on both sides of the divide, as opposed to a unilateral crest or a unifacial crest.

The bottom line with these is that instead of forming leaves in a circle to form a rosette, as would be expected with a typical mexi-ping, these crested variations, grow out in a line, similar to a line of soldiers marching two abreast, hence the other descriptive name for this type of growth - Phalangial.

If you're curious about the monstrosities of the plant world, see if your library has a copy of Gordon Rowley's book, Teratopia: The World of Cristate and Variegated Succulents.

Here are a few pics from today.

One of these crested forms in a 3 inch clay pot,

resting atop a bed of garnets.

dvg

Last edited:
Back